5.1 speakers for home cinema room

paulbrannan

Established Member
Reaction score
Hi,

Looking at converting me garden room to a home cinema which is 3.74cm x 5.07cm - room pics here: Advice on 1st build. This is pretty much an empty room so speaker placement should not be an issue, although with the sofa (not that awful one in the pics!) there may not be that much clearance with the rears.

I have a Platinum P12300-SB-FF and have been looking at the Dali Oberon 5 bundles on PT or the Q Acoustics 3050i 5.1 Cinema Pack, without the subs and with a couple of in-ceiling speakers (c165) . Seems the preferred receiver (for 5.1.2) is the Denon AVR-X2700H . When I can find one, I'm looking to add a ps5 to the set up.

So my question really is, for my budget of about 2-2500k, are these bundles decent choices and what else should I be considering in this price range? I do have a Richer near me so will try to go in and demo.

Thanks in advance

Hi, just to be clear, is that budget just for 5 or 7 speakers and is it also including an AVR-X2700?

Hi,

Looking at converting me garden room to a home cinema which is 3.74cm x 5.07cm - room pics here: Advice on 1st build. This is pretty much an empty room so speaker placement should not be an issue, although with the sofa (not that awful one in the pics!) there may not be that much clearance with the rears.

I have a Platinum P12300-SB-FF and have been looking at the Dali Oberon 5 bundles on PT or the Q Acoustics 3050i 5.1 Cinema Pack, without the subs and with a couple of in-ceiling speakers (c165) . Seems the preferred receiver (for 5.1.2) is the Denon AVR-X2700H . When I can find one, I'm looking to add a ps5 to the set up.

So my question really is, for my budget of about 2-2500k, are these bundles decent choices and what else should I be considering in this price range? I do have a Richer near me so will try to go in and demo.

Thanks in advance

If you want floorstanders then these would fit within budget when sub is removed. Often you can only listen the main speakers so booking demo time have 3-4 models to say you want to compare. Should be possible in Richer Sounds if they have these. Oh and say to use X2700H in demo as you can decide that too!

There is also the soon to be discontinued B&W 600 range for sale so they might make good bundle deal with Denon. Only available at Peter Tyson. The new S2 range you should be able to listen at Richer Sounds and the difference should be small so if you would like them then you could save lot of money opting for these S1.

As for ceiling speakers i would consider the Kefs with UniQ drivers which they are known from!

Lots of food for thought there, and thanks so much for searching up the links. Now to demo! :)
I would recommend that you call the shop and ask which models of these they have in stock (which intrests you). You get about 1hour or so time where the speakers and receiver should be ready int he room waiting for you. If you go to shop ask to do this i`m not sure is it possible. I would play some music and some movies through them and concentrate less on the bass as that will be covered by subwoofer. If you want to listen the B&W it`s called 603 S2 Anniversary edition. But keep in mind that it will cost almost double to what i linked and sounds very similar at least what AVForums editor said. Also check that the speakers would be closely similar amount from front wall that you can apply in your room. Dali and B&W doesn`t need toe in, they become more brighter if you do this, you can try though but with Dalis especially they warn about this on manual!

I would recommend that you call the shop and ask which models of these they have in stock (which intrests you). You get about 1hour or so time where the speakers and receiver should be ready int he room waiting for you. If you go to shop ask to do this i`m not sure is it possible. I would play some music and some movies through them and concentrate less on the bass as that will be covered by subwoofer. If you want to listen the B&W it`s called 603 S2 Anniversary edition. But keep in mind that it will cost almost double to what i linked and sounds very similar at least what AVForums editor said. Also check that the speakers would be closely similar amount from front wall that you can apply in your room. Dali and B&W doesn`t need toe in, they become more brighter if you do this, you can try though but with Dalis especially they warn about this on manual!
What do you mean by 'toe in' sorry?

What do you mean by 'toe in' sorry?

As in angling them toward listener. Dali should be shooting straight so no toe in and the same would apply to B&W at least if we look measurements and listen owners, there can be big change depending are the speakers angled or not. Too bright gets tiring so not ideal for long term.

As for ceiling speakers i would consider the Kefs with UniQ drivers which they are known from!

Just getting some quotes from PT but they don't have the KEF's - I see they are exclusive to RS. How the Ci1130q stack up, do you know?

Just getting some quotes from PT but they don't have the KEF's - I see they are exclusive to RS. How the Ci1130q stack up, do you know?

If you mean this model it`s better with different drivers and also more expensive, but when you ask "package deal" you likely get better pricing. Notice the price is per single speaker for both below.

And there is also the larger version with 6,5" driver. Depends how much you want to spend.

@Gasp3621

Hi, Just wanted to update you on what I went for in the end. So have ordered the Dali Oberon bundle from PT with the Denon AVR-X2700H and 2x KEF Ci130.2CR. It was going to be a lot of hassle and expense to convert the room into a dedicated home cinema so went the TV route and got the 77" LG C1 .

Thanks for all your input as it was really helpful.

@Gasp3621

Hi, Just wanted to update you on what I went for in the end. So have ordered the Dali Oberon bundle from PT with the Denon AVR-X2700H and 2x KEF Ci130.2CR. It was going to be a lot of hassle and expense to convert the room into a dedicated home cinema so went the TV route and got the 77" LG C1 .

Thanks for all your input as it was really helpful.

Good choice and large tv, nice! Keep us updated how they sound! Below is the optimized placement for 5.1.2 system if you need to look. Remember Dali recommends that you don´t toe in main speakers, rather keep them shooting straight. Get the center channel as high as possible and preferably not inside cabinet. At the front edge and top of av-unit typically.

Good choice and large tv, nice! Keep us updated how they sound! Below is the optimized placement for 5.1.2 system if you need to look. Remember Dali recommends that you don´t toe in main speakers, rather keep them shooting straight. Get the center channel as high as possible and preferably not inside cabinet. At the front edge and top of av-unit typically.

Will do and thanks for the info
Was thinking of wall mounting the centre but will have to see how massive TV is. If not maybe as you suggest on cabinet. Should be about level with ears when seated, no
?

Will do and thanks for the info
Was thinking of wall mounting the centre but will have to see how massive TV is. If not maybe as you suggest on cabinet. Should be about level with ears when seated, no
?

Yeah would be ideal but that might mean tv goes too high. Depending what you have got used to etc. Some guys here have tv on top of fireplace, it`s like looking up big time. But they don`t comment about neck pain.. Find some good compromise. If you mount the speaker you can still use example pair of rubber door stoppers each side as they are angled so they make the speaker shooting more upwards toward your ears.

Yeah would be ideal but that might mean tv goes too high. Depending what you have got used to etc. Some guys here have tv on top of fireplace, it`s like looking up big time. But they don`t comment about neck pain.. Find some good compromise. If you mount the speaker you can still use example pair of rubber door stoppers each side as they are angled so they make the speaker shooting more upwards toward your ears.
Hi. Sorry to bother you again but could I pick your brain?

My speakers have now arrived and PT sent some QED micro cable with them, which seems to be 17awg. Looking at where the surrounds and atmos speakers will be, I think the cable runs are going to be around 10m, give or take. Would that mean some new 2.5mm cabling?

Thanks

Hi. Sorry to bother you again but could I pick your brain?

My speakers have now arrived and PT sent some QED micro cable with them, which seems to be 17awg. Looking at where the surrounds and atmos speakers will be, I think the cable runs are going to be around 10m, give or take. Would that mean some new 2.5mm cabling?

Thanks

I have my doubts on that and would opt for cheaper OFC AWG14 personally, but it`s your call. Some members had to use the super thin cable and they have done it for longer runs aswell with that Micro cable.

This is cheapest alternative which does the trick certainly:

Amazon product ASIN B01C79Z1FU

I have my doubts on that and would opt for cheaper OFC AWG14 personally, but it`s your call. Some members had to use the super thin cable and they have done it for longer runs aswell with that Micro cable.

This is cheapest alternative which does the trick certainly:

Amazon product ASIN B01C79Z1FU
Yep, thay=t's what I thought. I have bought some of that cable before so will grab some more for the rears. The in ceiling KEF speakers are 8ohms so was wondering whether the QEd might suit for them, or is it advisable to use the same cabling throughout?

Yep, thay=t's what I thought. I have bought some of that cable before so will grab some more for the rears. The in ceiling KEF speakers are 8ohms so was wondering whether the QEd might suit for them, or is it advisable to use the same cabling throughout?

Usually people recommend CL2/CL3 rated cable for in-wall/in-ceiling installation due to fire protection. Not sure if something happens would the insurance company give you hard time it if not using CL2/CL3 rated cable. You can always sell the QED here at classifieds or gumtree/ebay.

Usually people recommend CL2/CL3 rated cable for in-wall/in-ceiling installation due to fire protection. Not sure if something happens would the insurance company give you hard time it if not using CL2/CL3 rated cable. You can always sell the QED here at classifieds or gumtree/ebay.
Morning, Good point as it is going to be in a false ceiling where there are downlights.
Just looking at the Atmos set up infor you provided in preparation for mounting. From my understanding: front left/ right floor standers to side of tv, rears in line with these at seated ear height, and atmos in ceiling above these. I do see on the KEF page that the Ci130q have a widish dispersion pattern so guess they could be slightly off axis. Does that sound about right?

I would push the fronts bit wider than just either side of tv and same distance each from center channel. Let`s say if you sit 3meter away then try example 2,5meters apart for the mains. As long as you don´t push the mains further apart than is the distance from listener to speakers (center).
5_1_2_spkrplc.jpg

Here is more angles shown:

I'm a bit limited by the room - see attached pics, but will try to widen them as you suggest.
This should do for the KEF's yep - 8ohm /10-12m run 14awg?
20210816_083256.jpg20210816_083316.jpg

Yes that would be correct cable, 14AWG! I would also consider raising the centre as you have still space, some DIY table stand to put it right under tv, as close to seated ear height as possible! If that is not possible then at least buy the tilted speaker "stand" which raises the front of speaker so it shoots more upright. I saw one in Amazon at some point. The bk sub i would try at front corner.

I'm a bit limited by the room - see attached pics, but will try to widen them as you suggest.
This should do for the KEF's yep - 8ohm /10-12m run 14awg?
View attachment 1555950View attachment 1555951

You need to tell your Dalis that Halloween is still a couple of months away :)

Yep, will do. Room is a total mess. I was thinking to put a small shelf directly under the TV and use a foam wedge to angle slightly. I thought with the DALI you didn't need to angle to listener as much, or is that just marketing bs?

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom