5.1 Speakers + AV receiver - Budget £1200

jonh

Standard Member
Hi, I'm looking for some buying advice.
I'm looking for a 5.1 surround sound system including the speakers, receiver, wires/cables and 4 speaker stands for £1200.
It's for a small room. I will be using it for films, games and music - in that order of priority for sound.
The receiver needs to have at least 5 HDMI inputs, 4k pass through with HDMI 2.0 and HDCP 2.2 compatibility.
It needs to have DTS-MA HD and Dolby True HD decoders. I'm not sure if I need Dolby Atmos or DTSX. Is it worth paying extra for them if I only using 5.1 speakers and I'm not getting any extra ones?

I like look of the Monitor Audio Mass speakers.
MASS
Also the
Tannoy HTS-101
Tannoy | Home

Are there any other speakers I should consider?

Hixs

Distinguished Member
Get a mod to move your post here - Home Cinema Buying & Building

Some very helpful people lurk there.

Denon AVR-X2200W review | What Hi-Fi? - this would be a good receiver for your budget/requirements. It does atmos/dts:x, so if you fancy an upgrade you won't need to upgrade the receiver. Even if you don't use them, it's very well spec'd for the price. Mine is the Marantz equivalent (Denon and Marantz are owned by the same company) and cost a couple hundred more (it is slightly better though). Amazing what you can learn in a few months if you read a lot of reviews etc :D

Speakers - you need someone with farrrrr better knowledge then me.

jonh

Standard Member
Thanks for your help Hixs. That AVR has all the features I'm looking for and at a good price. I'm getting that and the Tannoy HTS-101. The dimensions of the monitor audio mass were too big for my room. If I had a bigger room to use then I probably would've chosen them.

PSM1

Distinguished Member
Tannoy speakers are often recommended for brighter sounding receivers like Onkyo/Sony so may not be the best match for the Denon. That said a lot will depend on personal sound preference so they may work for you.
The 2200 really deserves better speakers to get the best from it. As a general guide you can spend up to 3 times the price of the AVR on the speakers to get a well balanced system. This would mean you could justify spending £1.5k or so on speakers quite easily. With that receiver something like the Monitor Audio Radius range would be worth a look or the Kef E series.
If funds are tight then buy the AVR and front pair of speaker+sub and then get the other speakers as funds allow.

The latest video from AVForums

Star Wars Andor, Woman King, more Star Trek 4K, Rings of Power & the latest TV, movies & 4K releases
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom