1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

5.1 speakers advice for novice

Discussion in 'AV Pre-Amp/Processors & Power Amps' started by mikeyboy32, Apr 19, 2005.

1. mikeyboy32

mikeyboy32
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi,
    I've just got some 5.1 surround sound speakers and i'd like some advice on what i would need to buy extra(amplifer etc) to set it up with my dvd player & tv?
    The 5 five speakers plug into the subwoofer which then has 3 leads coming from the SUBWOOFER to connect to dvd player or amplifier.these are marked FR/FL(GREEN),RR/RL(BLACK), SUB/CEN(ORANGE).the leads have plugs on then like a headphone socket(think its called 3.5mm but not sure).
    my dvd player is dts but doesnt have 5.1 connections on the back.it just has 2outputs for speakers as does my widescreen t.v.

How do i connect my speakers up? Do i need an amplifier?
    I;ve noticed that a lot of amplifiers don't have the 3 connections that come from my subwoofer as mentioned above (speakers usually connect with bare wire rather than 3.5m plugs).
    What would anyone recommend cos i dont want to buy an amplifier then find out i can't connect my speakers to it!
    please help.

2. scarty16

scarty16

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +77
    Make and Models would be useful

3. mikeyboy32

mikeyboy32
    Standard Member

Products Owned: