Question 5.1 speakers/5.1 soundbar v desktop stereo speakers

Discussion in 'Home Cinema Speakers' started by miggyboys, Jul 30, 2018.

1. miggyboys

miggyboys

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +8
    Hi all

Has anyone had experience of using small 5.1 lifestyle speakers (like Cambridge Audio Minx Min 12 or a soundbar like Yamaha YSP-2200), that are no taller than 10cm versus a pair of stereo desktop speakers like Ruark Audio MR1, Q Acoustics 3010, Wharfedale DS-2 or even Wharfedale Diamond 9.0 that are no taller than 25cm? Which in your experience sound better for listening to 5.1 audio?

All the desktop speakers above cost less than £330 and the 5.1 speakers cost less than £800. I know for stereo music, the stereo speakers above would beat the 5.1 system hands down.
    I also understand the stereo pairing can't play all the audio of 5.1 but I'm wondering what people's thoughts are on which sound better overall.

Thanks

Last edited: Jul 30, 2018
  2. Joe Fernand

Joe Fernand
    Distinguished Member AVForums Sponsor

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3,572
    Some information on the proposed Loudspeaker, seating and room layout is required.

Joe

3. miggyboys

miggyboys

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +8
    Hi Joe

I'm okay with speakers and dac/integrated amps, there are plenty I can choose from. I'm really interested in people's opinions about the very small 5.1 speakers & soundbars v desktop stereo speakers....

4. Joe Fernand

Joe Fernand

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3,572
    Hi miggyboys

Not sure I understand your reply!

Any suggestions or guidance on suitable Loudspeakers has to take into account your Room and Room Layout - using a Soundbar as a Desktop audio (near field) Sound system would not work whereas I can use compact Loudspeakers for Desktop (near field) audio and use those same compact speakers in a more traditional Hi-Fi or Surround Sound system by changing how I position and mount them.

Joe

5. miggyboys

miggyboys

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +8
    Hi Joe

I absolutely agree with what you're saying but I don't need suggestions or guidance on speakers...I was really canvassing opinions and experiences on 5.1 soundbars/very small 5.1 speakers V stereo desktop/standmount/bookshelf speakers for playing 5.1 audio....

6. Joe Fernand

Joe Fernand

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3,572
    'I don't need suggestions or guidance on speakers...' - ask a Mod to close the Thread then :)

All of your options may work - or none of your options may work, without knowing about the Room and proposed Layout it's pretty tricky to say what may or may not work for you.

Joe

7. miggyboys

miggyboys

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +8
    You're ignoring what I wrote. This forum isn't just for suggestions or guidance is it? It's for many things, one of them being hearing other people's opinions on their experience of products, which is what I've asked in the original post and restated!

8. Joe Fernand

Joe Fernand

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3,572
    In my experience you can use 5.1 soundbars, very small 5.1 speakers, stereo desktop, standmount, bookshelf speakers for playing 5.1 audio. Which to use will depend on the Room, Room Layout and Mounting options.

Joe