1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

5.1 Speaker Recommendations

Discussion in 'Home Cinema Speakers' started by herbert, Aug 14, 2005.

1. herbert

herbert

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi,

I'm looking to upgrade my 5.1 speaker set-up so I'm looking for recommendations. Once I've short listed a few I intend to go and demo them to make a final call.

Basic Facts are as follows, current speakers are basic Eltax bookshelf speakers, Amplifier is a Yamaha 630RDS, speakers will be mainly used for home cinema but also some music listening, room is about 18ft x 12ft and the budget is some where between £800 and £1000.

Not sure whether to go for full size or sub/sat type system (like the look of B&W mini-theatre), we have a baby on the way so they have to be baby friendly so I'm thinking full size may be better as they'll be harder to pull over and we're quite happy with having full size speakers in the room.

All advice greatly received.

Herbert

2. Astaroth

Astaroth

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +117
    In my opinion you will get a better sound with music on a like for like budget with a full size package rather than a sub/sat.

On the baby issue though I am surprised you think that full sized would be better - several of my friends that have become parents have all got rid of their full size speakers in fear of toddlers pulling them over onto themselves and have gone for sub/sats - most have wall mounted them for the safety of both infant and speaker

3. Petey

Petey

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +17
    I have a definitive technology speaker system for sale.

2x BP10 Floorstanders
    2x BP2X Bipolar Surrounds
    1x CLR2002 Center

1x Rel Strata Sub

Let me know if you're interested.