Question 5.1 Speaker Placement

Discussion in 'Home Cinema Buying & Building' started by nheather, Jun 16, 2015.

1. nheather

nheather
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +10,461
    Doing a garage conversion which will have a TV but it is only a secondary use. Originally there was no TV included in the plans, then one on its own, then the idea of adding a soundbar and finally thinking about a lower end 5.1 system.

The problem is that I tried a Soundbar, a Yamaha YAS-203 but I wasn't that blown away by it so have sent it back.

I've ruled out sound projection systems because I can't see how it would work in the room given it relies on reflections from walls.

This is my challenge. The room is about 5m by 5m. The TV (a 55") will be in one corner.

Because of the funiture the FR and FL will be no more than 1.8m apart.

The sofa will put the person's head about 2.5m from the TV. The problem is the rears - I believe that these should be to the side and slightly behind the person. I can't really do this, or if I did it would be quite odd becuause the left would be about 1m away and the right would be about 4m away.

The most balanced place would be on the wall behind the person but this would put them about 2.5m behind the person and about 2m apart.

It would be like a big 'X' 2m from left to right and 5m from front to back. A speaker at each end of each arm of the 'X' and the person in the centre.

Would this sound weird?

I'm wondering whether it would be best just to stick to stereo.

Cheers,

Nigel

2. nheather

nheather
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +10,461
    This picture best depicts it.

image.jpg

Just to be clear, there is no wall to the right, well there is, but it is about 3 metres to the right.

Cheers,

Nigel

3. johnjay

johnjay

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +496
    Obviously you don't take just one man's advice.;):D