Quantcast

5.1 Speaker Placement with Corner Sectional Couch

cale34

Novice Member
I understand a corner sectional couch is not ideal for a 5.1 speaker setup, however I am looking for advice on the best placement of the 2 surround speakers based on the circumstances. The couch will be pulled out a couple feet from the back wall (as seen in the photo below) and a small sofa table will sit behind the couch. I will be mounting the speakers, I need help with the placement of the two surround speakers. Below are a couple basic snapshots of the basement setup. Thank you!

Basement Rear View.png

Basement Side View.png

Russ_64

I have a similar open layout that makes surrounds on left and right of seating impossible. My surrounds are just behind the sofa on left and right corners, angled at 45 degrees towards MLP. They still have to be set as Surrounds on AVR not as Rear speakers. Works fine for me.

gibbsy

It's not so much the corner position of the seating area as long as the TV is central to the wall it's on. There will be people sitting on it that will be closer to one or other of the speakers but that a compromise that many have to make. Just make sure you have the prime seat, right in the middle of the screen as this is where the calibration settings will be taken from. :lesson:

cale34

Novice Member
I have a similar open layout that makes surrounds on left and right of seating impossible. My surrounds are just behind the sofa on left and right corners, angled at 45 degrees towards MLP. They still have to be set as Surrounds on AVR not as Rear speakers. Works fine for me.
This might be my best option, thank you for the quick reply!

cale34

Novice Member
It's not so much the corner position of the seating area as long as the TV is central to the wall it's on. There will be people sitting on it that will be closer to one or other of the speakers but that a compromise that many have to make. Just make sure you have the prime seat, right in the middle of the screen as this is where the calibration settings will be taken from. :lesson:
Great advice, thanks!