5.1 sound via Toshiba HD-DVD Player?

C

carl15

I was wondering how this works.
You have the HDMI lead that goes from the DVD Player to TV.
What carries the sound?
Is it a coaxial lead from DVD to 5.1 amplifier?
Any pictures of this setup?

Carl

The HDMI cable will carry the sound to the tv or av amplifier, or you can send sound via coaxial or digital output, or via the 5.1 analouge outputs on tha back of the player to an amplifier.

Depending which player you are using, A1 or XA1 you can get True HD sound via the 5.1 outputs, but not the coaxial or digital, E1 is True HD is only via HDMI so you need an amplifier which supports this.

I am currenyl running a NAD T751 5.1amplifier and this certainly does not support or have HDMI imputs.
So I assume I just take a coaxial cable from the back of the E1 to the amplifier as I currently do with my Sony DVP-NS930V DVD Player setup.

Carl

Do you run the new True HD formay Skinny?.
Is it really that much better than DTS or 5.1?
What would you describe as the main differences?

I've got my system set up for it but haven't had a film that supports True HD yet, not all films come with it, only had a my player a couple of weeks, must admit normal DD 5.1 or DTS sound much clearer and detailed compared to SD dvd

So I assume I just take a coaxial cable from the back of the E1 to the amplifier as I currently do with my Sony DVP-NS930V DVD Player setup.
Just for info, the HD-E1 only has optical out (no coax).

Trevor

Even Dolby Digital Plus encoded at a high bitrate (e.g. 1.5Mbps) output as LPCM via HDMI from the E1 sounds far superior to either vanilla Dolby Digital or DTS.

The Toshiba site says they'll only output 5.1.

I wonder what'll happen with the DVE disc? The old version had 6.1 sountracks. It'll be interesting to see if DVE has 6.1 in the higher quality formats and, if so, what'll do to these via coax/optical. It'll also be interesting to see what the Toshiba will output over coax/optical on the old PAL DVE disc.

As for JAKAL's:

"...the E1 sounds far superior to either vanilla Dolby Digital or DTS."

I'm not sure real life sounds "far superior" to dts. Over coax/optical the Toshibas will output a version of dts better than you get from current DVD anyway.

Better, maybe. But "far superior"? I'll take some convincing.

Steve W

The 'old HD DVD players' have never had any problems with outputting 6.1 DTS ES sound tracks from any of my collection. It works just like every other DVD player.

The Toshiba site says they'll only output 5.1.

I wonder what'll happen with the DVE disc? The old version had 6.1 sountracks. It'll be interesting to see if DVE has 6.1 in the higher quality formats and, if so, what'll do to these via coax/optical. It'll also be interesting to see what the Toshiba will output over coax/optical on the old PAL DVE disc.

As for JAKAL's:

"...the E1 sounds far superior to either vanilla Dolby Digital or DTS."

I'm not sure real life sounds "far superior" to dts. Over coax/optical the Toshibas will output a version of dts better than you get from current DVD anyway.

Better, maybe. But "far superior"? I'll take some convincing.

Steve W

Erm.....I was talking about decoded Linear PCM output over HDMI, not compressed over optical - and yes it is FAR superior. I do not know what audio system you have but my ears really can tell there is a very big difference.

Jakel,

Your right mate, I have the E1 and Doom sounded TOTALY AMAZING today.
Constantine and Harry Potter sounded TRUELY AWESOME which both films contain a True HD soundtrack.

My setup:

Yamaha RXV-1600
Arcam DV88+
Toshiba HD-E1 (purchased today)
Telewest HD
Xbox360 HD-drive (bing sold as I write)

If the Yamaha is not passing TRUE HD then I will be very surprised, because the last time I heared sound like today was when I used DTS Laserdisks many many moons ago.

God its so good to have the HEAVEY,HEAVEY sound track that LD delivered. I just want Jurrasic Park in HD to make it all perfect.lol

Is your amp passing True HD ????

R.
Nigel

Jakel,

Constantine and Harry Potter sounded TRUELY AWESOME which both films contain a True HD soundtrack.

My setup:

Yamaha RXV-1600
Arcam DV88+
Telewest HD

If the Yamaha is not passing TRUE HD then I will be very surprised, because the last time I heared sound like today was when I used DTS Laserdisks many many moons ago.

God its so good to have the HEAVEY,HEAVEY sound track that LD delivered. I just want Jurrasic Park in HD to make it all perfect.lol

R.
Nigel

Yep, if your amp can accept PCM multi channel audio over HDMI 1.1 (I think yours can) you are hearing Dolby TrueHD and yes, Constantine in True HD is the best soundtrack I have ever heard (not good for the health of your subwoofer though!).

Jakel,

I have the AMP set to HDMI sound (front display on Yamaha says General PCM):thumbsup:

Also set the Toshiba to PCM and all sounds amazing.

Bit concerned about this UPDATE stuff? I have it connected to the Network and It cant find the server???

Do I need it?
And how do I know if the DVD is connecting beyond my router. Is there a conection test on the machine?

One last thing, is there a SD DVD hack for this machine? If there is my Arcam will be for sale.

R.
Nigel

Jakel,

My setup:

Yamaha RXV-1600
Arcam DV88+
Telewest HD

R.
Nigel

Yeah - same here - I had almost forgotten what a good dynamic film soundtrack should sound like. I used to have laserdisc as well. When I switched to DVD in 1997 the first thing I noticed was the lower quality sound on DVD. Although DVD did improve, it was never a match for laserdisc. High bitrate DD+ and TrueHD are better still. The dynamic range is massive on these new formats, and the sound is so much clearer. I think music / concerts in HD are going to be big sellers. I have The Eagles Farewell Tour HD-DVD - the picture is amazing and the DTS sound just has to be heard to be believed - I can only assume it is full bitrate DTS.

Jakel,

My setup:

Yamaha RXV-1600
Arcam DV88+
Telewest HD

R.
Nigel

That Yamaha amp sounds like something i might invest in if it is True HD, cant seem to see anything listed on the spec sheet though?

http://www.yamaha-uk.com/pdf/product_bulletins/RX-V1600.pdf

The HDMI cable will carry the sound to the tv or av amplifier, or you can send sound via coaxial or digital output, or via the 5.1 analouge outputs on tha back of the player to an amplifier.

Depending which player you are using, A1 or XA1 you can get True HD sound via the 5.1 outputs, but not the coaxial or digital, E1 is True HD is only via HDMI so you need an amplifier which supports this.

Is there an all-in-one home cinema system that supports true hd via hdmi ?

Thanks
Steve

No. HD DVD is not designed to output TrueHD in raw audio file atm. TrueHD is decoded in the player for HD DVD. TrueHD is not currently available on standalone BD players at all atm. Your just need HDMI 1.1 for multichannel PCM audio for HD DVD or future BD players with built in audio codecs. BD may output TrueHD in the futrue but you need HDMI 1.3 dedicated players (none currently) and a HDMI 1.3 receiver with the correct decoding (none currently) and Q3 is when the might start to appear in basic form. Personally I am looking to decode in players and output PCM via HDMI 1.1.

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom