5.1 sound problems with sky HD

thorne

Standard Member
Reaction score
Hi

I have 2 problems

1. when watching HD channels, either recorded or 'live', if I rewind or fast forward, when I press stop or when I press play, I get distortion in the speakers which sounds like a repetition of the last syllable spoken or the last note played, before I hit the stop/play button. This lasts about 6 seconds, then all is ok, until the next time

2. again when watching HD channels, on some channels the 5.1 sound is fine, but on others I get quadrophonic sound, i.e. no sound through the front central speaker

Any thoughts?

The first thought, on the second point, is that there isn't all that much 5:1 on Sky anyway.

1. Sounds like "one of those things". As you go from trick play to normal your amp has to get to grips with the digital audio stream. There's always going to be some sort of stutter at that point.

In my bedroom I have a cheap NAD amp - it always "clicks" rather harshly at that point (has done for years with several different Sky+ boxes). In my lounge I have a more expensive Denon - it has a moment of silence before coming back to life (much nicer) and has done for years with different Sky+ and Sky+HD boxes.

2. I don't know of any 4.0 (quad) programmes. Can you give us more details ? Much of the non-movie output of HD channels is only DD2.0 - you really ought to set your amp to Pro Logic or something similar in order to get surround sound from it.

Regards

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom