5.1 sound over wireless via HDMI ARC or TOSLINK?

Just combing through the forums, it looks like this is not possible, but here I am giving it a shot anyway. Here’s the situation.

When we bought our house in 2012, it had undergone a recent renovation in 2007. The previous owners had made a small media closet under the stairs, and there’s cat5e ethernet and stereo audio running to different parts of the house. 12 feet away from the closet is where the TV is. There are 5.0 speakers in the ceiling with speaker wire running to the closet, and I added a wireless subwoofer. The only connection between the TV and closet is an HDMI cable from 2007. When we were just watching a lot of DirecTV in 1080, this all worked great.

But now we have a 4k LG OLED (holy smokes, the picture), and audio has become a problem when we watch any 4k content, which comes from the WebOS apps on the TV, or a 4k AppleTV mounted behind the TV. So the problem is that old HDMI wire. When I connect from the TV to the receiver in the closet via ARC, the sound cuts in and out, so the signal is probably not strong enough to handle the full cable run. So we can’t get 4k picture from the closet to the TV, and we can’t get any audio from the TV to the closet. The 2007 HDMI cable is bundled inside the wall with all these other cables I mentioned, so I can’t pull a new cable through. I’ve made several tries at running a new HDMI/TOSLINK/Cat6 bundle through the attic and under the house, but no dice. The only way to do it would be to cut out drywall

I can’t find a wireless HDMI solution that supports ARC. Both the receiver (in) and TV (out) have TOSLINK, so that would work too. Wifi has more than enough bandwidth to handle it, so I’m not sure what the problem is. Anyway, if you know of anything, please let me know.

The latest video from AVForums

Podcast: Panasonic JZ2000 Final Thoughts - TV Calibration: Should you? And More...
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom