5.1 sound on freeview

Discussion in 'Freeview & YouView' started by londonguy1973, Dec 22, 2006.

1. londonguy1973

londonguy1973

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +59
    Sorry if this has been answered before but i did a search and so many threads came up i couldnt find the amswer on them.

Ive just plugged my freeview box, (wharfdale dv832b), into my all in one 5.1 surround amp. The sound does sound better than it just being on the tv and you can just about hear it through the rear speakers but only if you stand right next to them.

Is it possible to get 5.1 surround through freeview? Does it depend on the channel and if they happen to be broadcasting in 5.1? My all in one dvd/amp is a few years old so would upgrading it be better? or does no-one on freeview broadcast in 5.1 and im wasting my time trying to get it?

anyone able to help?

cheers

2. sbowler

sbowler

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +481
    There is currently no channels on freeview which broadcast a 5.1 feed. You can run the stereo to the amp in prologic mode and you will get a better soundfield than stereo.

3. londonguy1973

londonguy1973

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +59
    thanks for that. my all in one only has theater, proligic, hall 1 and hall2 sound. Ive got it on prologic at the moment. Im probably gonna be upgrading to a seperate reciever/amp combo soon anyway. Would prologic 2 make it any better do you think?

4. Badger0-0

Badger0-0
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,922
    No, not really, IMO.
    PLII is rubbish.
    To get a surround effect, I wind my rears up to stupid levels, like + 10db :eek:

All normal telly is poor for surround, hence I keep complaining that we don't get Dolby 5.1 on most HD channels.

To be fair, PLII was only designed to give ambience :(

I rate the sound as more important than the pic myself, but I'm probably in the minority.

Oh, and yes, I've done all the setting up with a SPL etc.

5. nwgarratt

nwgarratt
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3,182
    It is normal to increase the db of the rears (and sometimes the centre) up. It has to compete against the front speakers to obtain a equal sound level between all speakers.

6. Badger0-0

Badger0-0
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,922
    :confused:

If you set your speakers up properly, you get next to nothing out of the rears, is that what you mean?

Because it's rubbish, which was my point :smashin:

7. nwgarratt

nwgarratt
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3,182
    If you mean me. I was trying to say that the levels for the rears and centre are often too low compared to the fronts. My rears are +6db and the centre is +4 to get a comfortable sound level between all the speakers. I am using a Sony DD/DTS amp with B&W 602 fronts, CC6 centre and 601's rears.

8. KMO

KMO

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +56
    PLII works fine for me from Freeview. It's almost permanently engaged. Pretty good directionality, considering it's only a 2-channel matrix.

And no problem with the level of the rears. Obviously there's not always something going on from the surrounds :rolleyes: , but when there is, it's definitely there, and loud enough.

If you want constant noise from the surrounds, put the receiver in "5-channel stereo" mode or something... Or swap the fronts and the surrounds. :D

9. Badger0-0

Badger0-0
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,922
    Ah, nice one :smashin:
    I totally agree :thumbsup:
    I was sort of testing you out :rolleyes: sorry.
    You wouldn't believe how many people have said "you shouldn't turn the rears up".

PLII, whatever flavour, is in no way surround, IMO.

It's tripe.

Hence I want 5.1 via the HD channels :mad:

I keep saying it in the vain hope that someone might listen ;)

10. MarkE19

MarkE19

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,517
    How well DPLII works is often down to the program. Some are transmitted with surround information programmed into the stereo channels that the receiver decodes. If the transmition is just pure stereo then the receiver needs to guess at where to put the sound.
    I personally think DLPII works well, for what it is, but as stated it definately isn't true surround sound as we are used to from a DVD. Since my processor upgrade though I now used Logic7 instead of DPLII as I find this works better. But most receivers & processors wont have logic7 so you are stuck with DPLII (or DPLIIx) and IMO this is still better than just stereo.

Mark.