1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

5.1 sound from WMVHD to receiver?

Discussion in 'Computer Components' started by winger67, Feb 7, 2005.

1. winger67

winger67

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I've built a HTPC with a Chaintech AV-710. The receiver is a Sunfire Ultimate Receiver and I'm using the optical in. Using the 5.1 speaker tests from Microsoft I'm only getting 2-channel stereo outputted to the receiver. Doing a little seaching here, it looks like that's all I'm suppose to get. I'd really love to get 5.1 from "Step Into Liquid" or "T2: Extreme". Is this possible using the digital out?

2. Rob100

Rob100

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +227
    WMA Audio Pro usually requires you to use the analogue outs from your sound card. My HTPC is based on a DFI NFII Ultra Infinity mobo which as the name suggests uses the NForce 2 chipset and has "Soundstorm" which can encode the analogue outs in real time into DD5.1. See the T2 thread in the High Definition forum for more info on this.

Rob.

3. winger67

winger67

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks. I'm disappointed I won't be able to enjoy WMVHD in 5.1 with my current setup but at least I know I'm not going crazy. I don't suppose there are sound cards that will do the AC-3 encoding?