1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

5.1 Sound From PC

Discussion in 'TVs' started by Razor, Feb 24, 2005.

1. Razor

Razor

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +12,508
    I have just got a coxial digital lead and have connected it up to my Sony BD930 amp (Creative Audidgy 2, digital out)). I can get 2.1 sound but not 5.1

When it is set at 48Khz there is the 5 speakers shown on my amp but no sound from rears or centre. When I have it set at 96Khz there is only 2 speakers shown on my amp and I still get 2.1 sound (better quality than 48Khz) but still no 5.1

I have a £50 pro lead (coax) with a mono 3.5mm to phono connector.
    Do I need a stereo connector instead? Or am I missing something else?

Any help would be appreciated. :thumbsup:

2. St_ve

St_ve
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I just use spdiff off my motherboard connector with a coax to get 5.1 or DTS .
    I woulld be surprised if a Audidgy 2 wasn't capable of outputting 5.1 thought they were supposed to be the bee's knees.
    Just watched that Alien Insect praying mantiss amazing quality makes the demo in Comet's look second rate :thumbsup:

3. Razor

Razor

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +12,508
    Glad you have finally seen The Prayin Mantis. Its a bit special isnt it.

4. mrmoo

mrmoo

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +20
    Just to check the obvious, but what source are you using for the 5.1? Unless its a fully encoded AC3 track e.g. DVD you won't get 6 channels through the digital connection, as its only 2 channel compression. Most audio cards can't encode AC3 on the fly, Soundstorm is about the only one that can. Try AC3filter for a software encoder.

http://www.videohelp.com/tools?tool=AC3_Filter

I use spdif to the digital input on my amp for DVD's or AC3 rips. Use the analogue 6 channels connects 3x3.5 stereo to the decode input on the amp, use AC3filter and you will get all 6 channels for all formats MP3 etc.

5. Chorlton Dragon

Chorlton Dragon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I'm pretty sure the Audigy 2 doesn't do 5.1 Dolby Digital encoding, though is does decode Dolby Digital. What you are hearing is two channel PCM being fed through a digital connection. To get 6 channel sound from the Audigy 2, I think you have to connect up six outputs to your amplifier - a bit like connecting up a DVD player with a built-in DD or DTS decoder.

As far as I am aware, only motherboards based on the Nvidia NForce series chipsets can do real-time Dolby Digital encoding.

6. Razor

Razor

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +12,508

Thanks for the info. I can connect my 5.1 headphones (dont laugh) this way it takes 3 leads, front, rear and sub. I dont think this is a digital connection though. How does eeryone else connet their pc up to their amp. I want to get the best possible sound I can. I thought going throught the sound card would of been a better option than the optical out on my motherboard (asus).

When I do the calibration test in audidgy THX set up console it doesnt see the other speakers only 2 work (ie stereo), is this right?

7. evolution400

evolution400

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +17
    Make sure your speakers are setup as 5.1 in windows also..........common mistake :)
    control panel, audio and sound, advanced, then select 5.1 speakers ;)

8. Flimber

Flimber
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,477
    For reference, look at the HDA Mystique card mentioned elsewhere on these forums and available from the manufacturer via eBay. Does DD5.1 encoding on the fly.

Mike.

9. Razor

Razor

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +12,508
    Speakers are set up as 5.1 in control panel. I think I will have to use a 3.5mm to 2 phono connection 3 outputs from the back of my audidgy sound card to my amp.

Thanks for the info flimber I will be building dedicated HTPC in the next few weeks I will check this card out.

10. mrmoo

mrmoo

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +20
    Item number: 5169703031
    Gotta have one of them, now to bribe the wife,,, again.

11. Razor

Razor

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +12,508
  12. Mark H99

Mark H99

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Well I've just rebuilt my PC, I'm using an MSI K8N Diamond motherboard with onboard 7.1, and a Radeon X850 XT Graphics card, I intend to use High Def from my card and am hoping to feed 5.1 either from digital out or from the spdif, do you think this will work ? damm if it doesn't I've got to get a sound card as well :confused:

13. Flimber

Flimber
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,477
    Ideal Mother's Day present, I'd have thought :D

14. mrmoo

mrmoo

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +20
    Read my reply earlier in the thread. It depends on the source. If you play a DVD with an AC3 soundtrack the sound has been encoded by the studio. I can be decoded by an amplifier with a decoder for that particular codec, i.e DD, DTS, PLIIx, DTS-EX and can be transferred over the digital connections for low loss into the amp. You can simulate AC3 using AC3filter software encoding with a small cpu load. I've only managed to get analogue outputs to work (i.e 3 stereo connects) into the external decoder inputs of the amp. But it will convert MP3 or games etc into AC3. I've been waiting for a cheaper PCI hardware encoder and this HDA card looks the business.

15. Razor

Razor

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +12,508
    I have contacted creative and they have told me to enable the spdif option the audio HQ, device controls, decoder. This has help I can now get surround sound from my amp. However my amp only states that it is recieving prologic signal and not a 5.1 I have used a mini plug 3.5mm mono to coxial cable to my reciever/amp.

Am i missing something??? Help would be appreciated.