1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

5.1 sound and Pro-Logic

Discussion in 'Televisions' started by Pete Callan, Jul 17, 2002.

1. Pete Callan

Pete Callan
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    A friend at work who has a Pro-Logic TV tells me this is the only way you can get 5.1 surround sound from normal TV programmes (ie. for those programmes transmitted in 5.1 sound).

Is this true? I wanted to get a 5.1 speaker separates package however will I only get the benefit of 5.1 sound when I'm playing something on my DVD player?

2. gbmitie

gbmitie

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +56
    Your friend is correct. It is not possible to broadcast 5.1 or Dolby Digital over the terrestial network only pro-logic. U can get 5.1 one via satelite with SKY but it will cost u a lot. U will need a SKY + BOX, A sky monthly subscription and £10.00 pm on top of that.

After all that the number of movies in 5.1 is tiny.

Stick to DVD's for now, better picture and of course sound.

GBMITIE

3. Pete Callan

Pete Callan
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks gbmitie.

I take it there's not many programmes that are actually broadcast in 5.1 sound, just some films that are shown on the telly.

I won't be buying all that Sky mullarky but ((massive change of subject coming up) can you recommend a speaker package for around £600?

4. Zacabeb

Zacabeb

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +9
    Dolby Pro Logic decodes only 4 channels and is designed for use with Dolby Surround mixes, where 4 channels have been encoded in advance using a matrix. The core of the system is the Dolby MP matrix, and both the encoding process and the design for the decoding logic are 30 years old. Dolby Pro Logic is unstable and gets confused by the complexity of regular stereo recordings, which is why it is suitable mostly for Dolby Surround mixes and other TV sound. Dolby Pro Logic has inherent limitations even in digital processors because of its specs.

Dolby Pro Logic II is new and much better, thanks to being more stable. The stability also allows for it to detect the relationship between the surround channel and front channels, so it can spread the surround channel to left and right surrounds. There are Dolby Pro Logic II mixes (currently only in some video games) where the mix is enhanced for Dolby Pro Logic II, by letting the encoded surround channel be panned independent of left and right encoded channels. Futhermore, the stability allows it to spread regular stereo recordings across the channels. It can be used with most any material from what I have heard.

There are also other matrix systems like Circle Surround, Circle Surround II and DTS:Neo to name but a few. Matrix encoding similar to Dolby MP can be found in Ultra*Stereo and DTS Stereo. The system is even used in Dolby Digital EX with specially configured matrix encoding and decoding.

In short, Dolby Pro Logic is not the only way to extract surround from 2-channel stereo, and it is not 5.1 but at best 4.1. Or rather 4:2:4 channels to be correct. :)

5. Guest

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Pete

I have just ordered the Mission fs2-av speaker package for £369 from www.empiredirect.co.uk, which has often been quoted as being £600 in the magazines, probably dropped in price because the new fs1 package is about to come out. I will be partnering it with the Denon 1602, which should be ample for my needs and size of room. The whole package will come in at just over £700 including QED s-video to scart cable and custom length Ecosse Producer digital coax.

But I think you'll find those speakers are a bargain if that is all you need.

Regards

AJ