1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

5.1 setup suggestions?

Discussion in 'Home Cinema Speakers' started by Ardmanz, Apr 23, 2003.

1. Ardmanz

Ardmanz

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hey.

I dont know all that much about this, i'm just going on what people suggested so if this all sounds like rubbish feel free to tel me.:)

Im going to be getting 5.1 surround in my room very soon and just wanted a bit of advice. (It will be used for dvd, sky digital and my playstation2).

Basically im looking at the Creative inspire 5.1 - 5500 (About £120) and the Creative inspire 5.1 - 5700 (About £200).

And I was wandering what you would suggest. I mean would the 5700's offer a much greater sound? (My room is about 12ftx10ft maybe more). Would either fill the room comfortably?

Also any other suggestions for speakers would be greatly appreciated.

Also I don't think the cables would be long enough to go around my room. So does any one know what the speaker cables are? Are they standard phono cables? If I used extension cables would they result in a loss of quality?

Thanks a lot for any help.

2. MarkE19

MarkE19

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,393
    These speakers are only really PC speakers and therefore I would not expect them to fill a room. I've got the 5500 (I think :confused: ) but only use them on the PC and use as below for home cinema.They will be far better than just TV sound but not up to the quality of proper speakers driven by a receiver. This does not however need the same budget as the Golf war!
    Take a look at Richer Sounds for ideas within your budget.
    Yes & Yes if useing cheap leads over very long distances. A couple of meters should make little difference though.

Mark.

3. MarkE19

MarkE19

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,393
    Another thought.....

What will $ky/PS2/DVD be plugged into?
    Will the DVD be on a PC? If not then the speakers will need to be switched by something for the different sources etc.
    A cheap receiver & speaker package will be far more flexible IMHO

Mark.

4. Ardmanz

Ardmanz

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Well when I was thinking about the creatives they have a few inputs...
    My sky box would use the optical in,
    DVD would use digital coaxial in.
    I would just swap the playstaion and sky box manually when needed.
    Nothing would be plugged into a pc.

Also. I looked at richer sounds but don't really know what i'm looking at. I mean, my DVD has a 5.1 decoder but no amplifier and as far as I can see the speakers from richer sound don't come with any amplifier/decoders.

So I should scrap the creative speakers idea then?:)

5. MarkE19

MarkE19

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,393
    This is only my opinion but YES! :cool:
    Look for a 5.1 receiver and a set of 5.1 speakers. Then other than a few leads this will be all you need. RS will be very helpful if you need to ask questions. Just know your budget!
    If you give a budget then we will be more able to make specific suggestions.

Mark.

6. gilmore

gilmore

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    if your budget can stretch take a look at the mission cinema 71 pack (£199 from hyperfi.co.uk) partnered with a budget Dolby Digital av amp (around £80 - £100)

this will give you a very good start and give you plenty of scope to upgrade later - The mission speaker package is a good budget package and the front speakers will give much better results when playing music

I know it blows your budget will give much much better results and you can always add a subwoofer to it later on if you want more extended deeper bass

alternatively check out the mission cinema 6 pack (£199 from richer sounds)

the yamaha NSP220 sub/sat speaker package can be found for £129 if the missions are too expensive - partner this with budget av amp

hope this helps

7. Ardmanz

Ardmanz

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hmm well i'm buggered then.
    I was thinking £200 max.:rolleyes:

8. MarkE19

MarkE19

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,393
    Welcome to the club for bankrupt AV enthusiasts :devil:

Mark.

9. jonezy

jonezy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +18
    You may have decided already, but if not bare in mind that the Creative range have speaker cables which are built into the speaker and they will not be long enough for your requirements. Made that mistake myself!

10. chriskenrick

chriskenrick

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    When I was doing research into this, the creative speakers had mixed reviews on the Internet. From what I've read, Logitech seems to make better computer speakers on the affordable end of things. Presuming your budget doesn't stretch to something like Klipsch :)

11. hornydragon

hornydragon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Somewhere near the M4 most of the time......
    Ratings:
    +1,215
    RS do some packs for not much more!!!
    £200 is apretty love budget but not the lowest!!!!
    http://www.richersounds.co.uk/index.php?f=itemdetl.php&p=300498
    and add something like this
    http://www.richersounds.co.uk/index.php?f=itemdetl.php&p=206012
    Just shy of £200 hundred but if you go and listen to both I am pretty sure you will prefer the JVC eltax combi add a £70-90 sub later on and your sorted. or make your budget £500 and get some top gear!!!
    Actually looking at the JVC's specs this would be a better buy http://www.richersounds.co.uk/index.php?f=itemdetl.php&p=300813 Add 5 speakers lik the ones above or these http://www.richersounds.co.uk/index.php?f=itemdetl.php&p=206398 and add a sub like this at a later date http://www.richersounds.co.uk/index.php?f=itemdetl.php&p=300181
    PS shop around Qed-uk and empire direct are places to look as is Pricerunner!!!

12. luv ya jen

luv ya jen

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    just thought id add my 10 pennys worth i have a sherwood 6103 amp from richer sounds that cost me 119.99 and im running a set of eltax jupiter speakers from comet that cost me 99.99 and connected it all to my sony dvpns700 and i was over the moon with both music and sound obviosley if you have the option of a bigger budget go for the big boy toysbut if not richer sounds is the place to go