• New Patreon Tier and Early Access Content available. If you would like to support AVForums, we now have a new Patreon Tier which gives you access to selected news, reviews and articles before they are available to the public. Read more.

5.1 setup advice

matblack

Established Member
Hi Guys

Right now I have

KEF 103/4 L&Rs
KEF 200C centre
KEF Q30 Rears
M&K MX 150THX sub

Denon 2805 reciever powering all but the fronts which are preouted to a Audiolab 8000A

I am pleased wilth the set up although I think it could be better, the Denon will do 7.1 and I only have 5.1 speakers.

The weak link I suspect is the Q30s used as rears, the doorway to my room is at the back of the side wall and the Q30s sit right at the back slightly behind the listening position and firing inwards towards to listener. I suspect this is a little too direct and would like to go with a proper surround speaker for the rear channels. The only advantage is the Q30s being floorstanders I can have them positoned well (the doorway prevent wall mounting)

I see 4 choices

a) Leave as is
b) Ditch the Q30s and have Dipoles or whatever on the back wall
c) Keep the Q30s and put Dipole on the side walls (they will have to be forward of the listening position on the side walls, because of the doorway)
d) Ditch the Q30s and put Dipole on the side walls (they will have to be forward of the listening position on the side walls, because of the doorway)

Any suggestions?

MB

The latest video from AVForums

Is 8K TV dead? Philips OLED+907, Pioneer LX505 AVR plus B&W 700 S3 Reviews & Visit + AV/HiFi News
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom