5.1 Setup < £300 Suggestions

Discussion in 'Home Cinema Buying & Building' started by lordv8der, Feb 10, 2009.

1. lordv8der

lordv8der

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +56
    Hey guys, I have recently been on the hunt for a 5.1 system to compliment my new tv, i was originally going to go for the logitech z-5500 speakers but I have now changed my mind and I am going to go for an Amp + Speaker setup, I know my budget is miniscule for you hardcore Audiophiles :D but my job does not really allow for anything more, another benefit of an amp and speakers is that i can upgrade at a later date in bits. I will be connecting a PS3 and probably a 360 to it aswell. My TV is running through my ps3 so there will be no connection to a sky box or the TV. I have had my Eyes on the Sony HT-DDWG800 as it seems to offer everything i want, If there is anything better on the market them please let me know. Thanks in advance Guys!

2. too_funky

too_funky

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +46
    Iv recently just upgraded from a set of logitech-z5500 to amp/speaker setup with a £300 budget. However rather than buying a package i bought amp and speakers seperately. I wasnt bothered about hdmi switching or anything like that so i just looked for an amp with good sound quality, (bearing in mind that i couldnt afford hdmi audio). I dont think the amp in that package supports hdmi audio either. So for the best audio quality i picked up a decent second hand denon amp from the classifieds section for £50 meaning i could leave the rest of my budget soley for buying decent speakers. And although there second hand, your buying them off 'av nuts' :p so its odds on that they have been well looked after and will be a decent piece of kit.

The amp i got sounds brilliant and has many more inputs than the one your looking at, only difference is that it doesnt have hdmi switching. If your tv already has enough hdmi inputs for all your equipment then hdmi switching is pointless. Therefore rather than spending more money on a more expensive amp with all the 'bells and whistles' that i didnt need i was able to dedicate the majority of my budget on ensuring i buy good speakers.

I then bought the Jamo 5.1 surround package, which is essentially just a convenient 5.1 bundle of their seperates. Which means because they are also sold as seperates, you can easily buy two more matching speakers if you want to upgrade to 7.1. If you look around the forums and some other reviews then you'll see that the jamo's are widely regarded as the best quality £200 5.1 package you can buy and got what hifi 5 stars etc. I highly reccomend them for your budget. Then with the rest of your £300 budget you still have some money left over to get some decent cables.

Hope this helps :)

3. cols

cols

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +517
    Look at htddwg800 and htsf1200. Both are around your budget.

They have inputs for hdmi, optical, digital coax, and phono, so you can connect lots up to them. They take audio over all of these inputs.

They will decode dd and dts and take lpcm over hdmi, this means hd audio from your ps3, as it can decode all audio formats including the hd ones.

4. lordv8der

lordv8der

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +56
    Wow, thanks for the quick reply! i have been searching around ( what else is there to do at work :p ) and have found This. If i were to get this and the Jamo Speaker set that too funky mentioned woud i notice much difference over the htddwg800 and htsf1200? i know its over budget but if the increase in quality is enough i would be happy to spread the cost over two months. What do you think?

5. Uridium

Uridium

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,855
    Be careful with some of the earlier HDMI receivers as they only support HDMI switching rather than HDMI passthrough.

iirc switching only supports video so you still need to connect a seperte calbe for audio.

passthough will send audio and video.

6. cols

cols

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +517
    If you want to look at separates, have a look at the strdg820 - it'll also take lpcm over hdmi, giving you hd audio from ps3. About £50 more than the one you linked to.

Generally, separates will have a better sound quality than all in ones, but they cost more, so it's a trade off.

As uridium said - research them fully, as some with hdmi ports only support switching, they don't actually take any audio from hdmi.

Last edited: Feb 10, 2009
  7. lordv8der

lordv8der

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +56
    Sorry...this is gonna sound like a really dumb question but doesn't Digital Optical support pretty much the same as HDMI? because i already have an abundance of Optical cables.

8. Uridium

Uridium

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,855

Optical won't carry PCM audio from PS3. Only HDMI has enough bandwidth

This means you won't get new HD audio formats (DTS-MA and Dolby TrueHD) on Blurays.

9. lordv8der

lordv8der

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +56
    Ah i see, Thanks for clearing that up, i guess i'll splash out and get the strdg820 at the end of the month then.

10. cols

cols

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +517
    Optical = dolby digital, dts, 2ch pcm

hdmi = dolby digital, dts, multichannel pcm, dolby digital plus, dolby true hd, dts hd ma

:smashin:

11. lordv8der

lordv8der

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +56
    Alright, after thinking it over i have decided to go for either the HT-ddwg800 or the HT-SF1200, I can still updrade the speakes at a later date if need be and to be completley honest i cant afford to buy a seperate setup, I dont think the room that they will be in is big enough to appreciate the seperates anyway.

Last edited: Feb 10, 2009
  12. cols

cols

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +517
    You can upgrade the speakers with the htddwg800, but not with the htsf1200, just bear that in mind! :smashin:

13. dancingdevil666

dancingdevil666
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi.

I dont think you can buy the HTSF1200 anymore. It has been replaced with the HTSF1300. But it is more expensive.
    If you do find the HTSF1200 anywhere be sure to let us know!

14. cols

cols

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +517
    The 1300 didn't replace the 1200, afaik the 1200 wasn't meant for the uk market and was released erroneously over here then almost immediately withdrawn - a few places had it still but it sounds like stocks are running out!

They're both the same in terms of spec, just cosmetic differences.

I think the 1300 can be found for a decent price if you shop around. Alternatively look at the htddwg800, that can also be gotten for a decent price.

15. clle

clle
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6
    I bought the htsf1300 at the weekend at a sony shop (£342.OO with an optical lead thrown in). It replaces a Sony Dav 500. The sound from it is brilliant - well worth considering. I was also looking at separate systems but did not want to spend a fortune.

16. dancingdevil666

dancingdevil666
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I had a look at the htddwg800 but I want one with the stands the the HTSF models have.

I think that I am also going to get a HTSF1300 off the web (£300 chepaest pretty much)

It is just anoying that you have to pay £100 more just for a few cosmetic differences (I think the HTSF1200 could be bought for £205 at one point!)

17. A2a

A2a

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +28

18. lordv8der

lordv8der

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +56
    Hmm interesting, everyone seems to go with the HT-SF 1300. tbh i think i'll get the ht-ddwg800 they will suit the colour scheme of my room more, Quick question to someone with them, do they come with wall mounts for the rear speakers? if not i'll just buy some, it's no biggie.

19. cols

cols

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +517
    The speakers have keyhole slots in them - no brackets required, just a rawlplug and a screw. :smashin:

20. lordv8der

lordv8der

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +56
    Yeah, i noticed that, unfortutunatley where i will be sitting i will require the rear speaker to be angled, thus why i require wall brackets.

21. Delvey

Delvey
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,924
    buy seperate mounts, there not expensive. I have the htddwg800 and its brilliant. I have blu-ray, xbox 360 and sky hd all connected and the sound quality and picture quality are very good indeed. I picked up a set of speaker mounts for £30 that swivel, so can angle them anywhere. I think for the money its probably the best option to go for

22. dancingdevil666

dancingdevil666
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    @ A2a.

Sorry when I was looking round at prices I didnt look at the stock! All the ones I have looked at are out of stock.

23. djkay1982

djkay1982

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +17
    get the HT-ddwg800

i've had mine for about a month now and its quality! i spent ages looking into which kit was going to be the best and after reading the whole owners thread on this forum and getting plenty of advice of people on the site found the sony one to be the one to get

you wont be disappointed with it, and with the HDMI ports and lpcm you can get HD sound