5.1 set up in second lounge/games room

Discussion in 'AV Receivers & Amplifiers' started by amitm1234, Jun 14, 2009.

1. amitm1234

amitm1234
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I have now got me some savings to enhance my games room/study/2nd lounge. I say that as I plan to make my main living room the top end room. This just has to suffice so that I get a good experience in the low to mid range prices.

I have a 46inch sony KDL-46V2000 with sky hd and an xbox 360 (hdmi version). The room is a rectangle with a 3 seater sofa in front of the tv against a wall about 3 meters away. I originally wanted to get a sound bar but I would rather get a dedicated 5.1 system. I have just recently seen the Q-acoustics Q-AV 5.1 system and it looks perfect for my room. That has been what I have decided as it is minimal which is what I'm looking for.

Now that is out of the way I wanted your help on finding a receiver that can deal with the sky and the xbox. I plan to have a blu ray player in the not so distant future, most probably a ps3 but that is the future. For now I want a receiver for around £200, I don't mind second hand that is good and can deal with the HD that I have. I was looking at the Onkyo 307 as anything above that is too expensive and would be better set in my main lounge. Also my PC will connect to it as it is already connected to my tv through VGA but the sound comes through the PC speakers, I would like to connect my PC to the receiver through HDMI with the new graphics card I just put in there.

Any help guys? It would be much appreciated.

Last edited: Jun 14, 2009
  2. rovex33

rovex33

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +44
    I use the Logitech z-5500 system. Its not high end audiophile stuff to be sure, but its great for 5.1 and gaming. Has a range of analogue and digital connections and decodes DTS/DD onboard. Its very loud to, 500WRMS (not peak trust me!) Its good looking although my not suit a lounge because it isnt a hi-fi separates type thing.

Can be had for £160 or so if you search around (RRP£249.99).

3. dante01

dante01
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +10,856
    Problem with the Onkyo 307 is that it doesn't have the ability to carry multichannel audio via its HDMI interface. THe HDMI inputs can only switch video. Given that the components you mention all have HDMI output and HD audio capabilities, you're going to need an amp that has HDMI audio capabilities. Without the HDMI audio abilities, you're going to be restricted to SD audio formats with a PS3 as well as having to use many more cables for all your components.

You should consider the £230 Sony STRDG820. This will provide you with 4 HDMI inputs, all of which are HDMI audio capable.

http://www.avforums.com/forums/av-a...68-sony-strdg820-back-sale-richer-sounds.html

Last edited: Jun 14, 2009
  4. amitm1234

amitm1234
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I did look at the Sony, however it seems a bit too high end. Not that it isn't an option. I only say that as I have a 7.1 speaker setup in my main lounge. I don't have a receiver yet but I am moving on to that room soon.

It seems like a good deal though. Especially with the setup I am thinking. If you have any other ideas then feel free to put them across :thumbsup: