Question 5.1 set up - 6012 or 7012?

AngelRex

In brief, my Denon 3312 needs to be replaced.

I only run 5.1 In a 4.5x3.5m room and use it for 90% movies and TV.

I can't fit in Atmos above, maybe front heights or the Atmos modules on top of the speakers.

Point being, I'll only be running 5.1 for the foreseeable future.

So, I was going to go for the 7012 or 4400 but as I won't use most of those features, would the 6012 at £640 or the 3500 be a better choice?

I guess, what I'm really interested in the general opinions, is will the 6012 and 7012 sonically sound the same in movies in the same set up??

I want to stick with marantz / Denon and would appreciate any feedback

What are your speakers please?

There is a notable step up between models so look at the best you can within budget. Even with movies you will note a difference. Also don’t drop below those models to ensure you get Xt32 room correction, rather than the lesser version.

I think if you have speakers on the more demanding side, then you should step up to the 7012/3 or 4500

AngelRex

Speaker are Miss match ATM. to be honest though, they sound amazing.

Front - 6ohm wharfedale diamond 8.3
Centre - b&w htm61s2
Rear - small rears mounted 5ft high, they were from a tannoy HTS set up.
Xxls400 sub

I did search forums before hand, but found no decisive answer. Only wishy washy replies that didn't actually confirm one way on another, or where others were looking at 7.1 or 7.1.2.

Last edited:

Rambles

Distinguished Member
I am going to proffer my view that the Marantz 6012 / 7012 or the Denon 3400 / 4400 / 3500 / 4500 will all sound very much alike for movies / tv in a 5.1 set-up. The Marantz models will be better for listening to music.

The reason for going for the Marantz 7012 over any of the others is the better music playback and the front screen that is lacking in the 6012. If you are not too bothered about using the system for listening to music, then any of the Denon model's will be fine.

AngelRex

The Denon 3500 and 6012 are the same price ATM.

The marantz 6012/7012 will be better at music, so that seems the obvious choice.

I would have gone for the 4400 but it's not available and the 6012 would also fit better in my unit.

Also, saving almost 200 over the 7012, the 6012 seems a better option in my set up. I would pay the extra 200 if in movies it was significantly better.

Last edited:

AngelRex

So, to clarify before I pull the trigger, the 6012 will sound about the same as the 7012, just a few less inputs and features?

Unfortunately I don't have anywhere close that has them in stock, so can't demo them both.

Thanks again

gibbsy

The progression with receivers such as the 6012 to the 7012 is tier driven. The 7012 is more powerful with more connections but essentially they will sound the same, have that same Marantz house sound signature and the 6012 is fine bit of kit. With you just running 5.1 the 6012 is more than capable.

AngelRex

Cheers, Appreciate the reply.

I can't demo them, but may try to demo the 4500. My only other concerns were how they would sound compared to the 3312, which I love!

I don't think my speakers are that tough to drive, although the diamond 8.3 are 6ohm and 86db sensitivity.

Might just have to bite the bullet and hope!

P Adams

Sorry to go off on a tangent a touch, but rightly or wrongly, I'm still undecided about updating our Pioneer LX83 reveiver to something like the 7012! What with other purchases in our household, the 7012 at £849 and lower with a trade-in from Peter Tyson looks perfect for our use. I keep gravatating to the page online at work!

I've got a Monitor Audio Silver 8s speaker package and plan to use atmos and can use a Rotel RMB1075 THX power amp with the upgrade if required. Listen to mostly cinema /TV but do like to relax with some music CDs.

As with you AngelRex, I think I ought to just go for it...

What do you think Gibbsy and Rambles!?

Rambles

Distinguished Member
@P Adams I am not familiar with Pioneer AVR's but I did have a Marantz SR7011 for a while, and it is a very nice receiver, and at £849 is also a very nice price.

It should be adequate for occassional music cd's, but possibly a bit better (for music) would be the Nad T758v3 for not much more money, which also has the added bonus of Dirac. But less features and inputs than the Marantz.

gibbsy

For just the occasional music listening I would pick the Marantz over a Denon, although for serious listening there are better available but at a cost. On the plus side the D&Ms are very easy to set up and in an easy room Audyssey does an adequate job.

I'd be more than happy to buy another Denon, but I have an amp with HT by-pass so I don't really yearn for the music prowess of the Arcam family but Dirac does sound intriguing, if a little scary for an old fart like me.

I have a Pioneer blu ray player and although it's very good it is a clunky set up but built like a tank. How Pioneer will fare now that Onkyo is in charge has yet to be seen.

P Adams

Good thoughts chaps. I had better make a decision soon as my wife will forget she said I could upgrade the amp after purchasing a Panny 65FZ802 OLED and 4k player etc. Now, just to try and get ceiling speakers past her!

Enjoy whatever you get AngelRex and let us know how it all sounds

ruffbadger

Out of interest did you go with the 6012? I've just bought one to go with a new MA Bronze 5 5.1 setup and have to say I'm a little underwhelmed. The quality is there but compared to my old receiver it feels underpowered which is strange as the old receiver was a Sony str dn 1030 which on paper is considerably less powerful.

YEHBABY

Out of interest did you go with the 6012? I've just bought one to go with a new MA Bronze 5 5.1 setup and have to say I'm a little underwhelmed. The quality is there but compared to my old receiver it feels underpowered which is strange as the old receiver was a Sony str dn 1030 which on paper is considerably less powerful.
I found switching 'Dynamic Volume' on to light or mediium made an appreciable improvement for me. The purists hate the setting but it works for me.

ruffbadger

Ah, I'll check that out. Thanks. It does seem weird though. As far as I can tell it's all set up as it should be.

AngelRex

I've not picked one up yet as I've been away with work, looking to grab one in the next week. I might hold fire until you've tested that setting!

ruffbadger

Have just watched a film with dynamic volume on 'light'. It made a considerable difference. Yes, the dynamic range of the soundtrack is reduced so if you a/b the modes next to each other you can hear the compression but it is not completely off-putting.

iang27

Novice Member
If you are looking to buy from PT they will match IdealAV’s price of £1095 for the Denon 4500. They are also offering at least £100 on top of their valuation of an old receiver so at least £200 off their £1199 price in total.
Only any good really if your receiver is only worth near £100.
Don’t get the free hdmi though or the extended warranty.

Their 7012 for £849 ( Of less ) is a cracking buy.

AngelRex

If you are looking to buy from PT they will match IdealAV’s price of £1095 for the Denon 4500. They are also offering at least £100 on top of their valuation of an old receiver so at least £200 off their £1199 price in total.
Only any good really if your receiver is only worth near £100.
Don’t get the free hdmi though or the extended warranty.

Their 7012 for £849 ( Of less ) is a cracking buy.
Agreed. Problem kinda is that they had the 4500 for £949 a mo the ago!

YEHBABY

Agreed. Problem kinda is that they had the 4500 for £949 a mo the ago!
I would buy the 3500 as no real benefit going for the 4500, unless you going 5.1.4

The latest video from AVForums

Podcast: Marantz SR7015 & NAD T 778 AVR + Mission LX2 MKII Speaker Reviews, AV & Film News and More

Latest News

Humax launches AURA 4K Freeview Play Recorder
  • By Andy Bassett
  • Published
Fyne Audio adds new standmounts to F1 speaker range
  • By Andy Bassett
  • Published
Mark Levinson expands 5000 Series with amplifiers and players
  • By Andy Bassett
  • Published
AVForums Podcast: 14th October 2020
  • By Phil Hinton