1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

5.1 SB woes. Last piece of HTPC jigsaw

Discussion in 'Desktop & Laptop Computers Forum' started by rooster, Mar 6, 2003.

1. rooster

rooster
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    Ok got my display resolutions sorted and have flashed my DVD rom drive to make it multi region and using DVD genie to reset software counter. But i have tried everything with no suceess to get 5.1 from my SB audigy card.

I bought a 3.5mm jack to phono adaptor and connected it up via RCA to RCA jack to my amp. I have set power DVD to SPDIFout and audio card to digitalout only. I have unticked the AC3 decoder box in my surround mixer but still no sound. If i tick the AC3 decode box i get stereo sound through my amp. Can anyone please help. Im getting really frustrated and on the verge of giving up on HTPC. I have taken a screenshot of my desktop with the various bits of software showing and the adaptor im using see links below. Sorry about size of files about 400k each

http://www.btinternet.com/~anthonyreilly/desktop.gif
    http://www.btinternet.com/~anthonyreilly/adaptor.jpg

2. John_N

John_N

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    The sound can be a pain in the neck.

You could try using a different player.

When I used WinDVD I get no sound at all. When I use PowerDVD I get sound sometimes but the picture is naff.
    I use TheaterTek now - which is the best picture and allows you to choose which sound renderer to use (which means you've got more chance of getting it working).

3. rooster

rooster
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    Cheers John_n

Worked first time with theatertek. Will probably stick to that. Though i notice that dvdGENIE doesnt have a theatertek tab .Can you reset the region counter on theatertek or am i limited to one region?

4. Mark Grant

Mark Grant

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +171
    Hello Rooster,

For region free with Theatertek use Region killer 2

no region switching required once you have it set up :)

As long as your DVD drive is region free, you will be OK.

Good luck,

Mark.

5. rooster

rooster
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    Cheers Mark,

Watched a dvd all the way through for the first time with theatertek and every so often i would lose sound for a brief moment. Anybody experienced this? Will need to look at the theatertek forums i guess