1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

5.1, SACD, Mch ?? Help

Discussion in 'AV Receivers & Amplifiers' started by karkus30, Jul 17, 2004.

1. karkus30

karkus30
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,261
    Now, Im usually competent at all this but...................... why cant I just put the new PF DSOTM 5.1 cd into my Philips 962SA SACD/CD/DVD player and listen through the coaxial output ?

Do I have to wire up all the channel outputs individually to the Denon AVC 10SE amp, then also wire the straight stereo outputs to gain advantage from SACD ?? Thats 8 interconnects, not including the coax digital output :eek:

Thats how I read it :confused: So SACD is only 2 channel ?? presumably. So you set that channel as pure direct stereo CD input ? and the other 6 channels as a discrete input ?? confused or what? Anyone make it clearer.

2. Dfour

Dfour

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +85
    As far as I can remember sacd is 2 channel and multi channel encoded. Witout i-link or such like you can only use analogue multi channel. IMHO a stupid setup in the first place. Teh only reason I havent started using dvd-a is because I would need to buy more :censored: cables so more money :thumbsdow

Think you need to set it up to accept the input from the multi channel to hear the sacd in 5.1. You willl have to read the manual to make sure. My Yammy has a multi in setting.

3. Stereo Steve

Stereo Steve

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +7
    SACD can be 2 channel or 5.1. You should be able to set the player up to default to either. If you set it to 5.1 and put in a 2 channel sacd it will just be 2 channel. You need to connect the 5.1 outputs on the player to the multichannel (7.1?) input on your Denon. You don't need to use the stereo analogue outs on the player as stereo sacd will just play throught the L/R of the 5.1's.

When i had a Denon I had the 7.1 input assigned to the CD channel and that played CD,SACD and DVD-A.

4. karkus30

karkus30
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,261
    So its as I thought :rolleyes: At least 5 interconnects to buy :thumbsdow This really does put the blight on audiophile m/channel. Let me tot this up :

1 Audiophile quality m/channel SACD player

6 high quality interconnects

5 speakers + cables and stands

1 top of the range sub

5 mono block amps

1 pre amp of a type the Im not sure about but needs 5 channels, so would be pricey.

5. sacd

sacd
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    Look, stop whinging and get the cables.
    DSOTM sounds incredable in surround. You will not be dissapointed!
    Get Avalon as well by Roxy Music.

6. karkus30

karkus30
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,261
    You can send me yours if you like :D

7. sacd

sacd
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    LOL!
    Just look up IXOS 175. 6 phono to 6 phono for around 35 quid.
    Cheap but good quality.....Job done!

8. Barend

Barend

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +9
    Use well screened cables, preferable densely braided RG59, 0.75 Euro p/m, all these expensive cables are a scam, as every technician will tell ya. Only the sellers and mags and the psychologically gullible people will tell you different.
    Show me ONE believable REAL BLIND comparative test.
    But if you wanna spend your money on glitter and glamour go ahead.
    Barend

9. sacd

sacd
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    I agree with barend.
    I have experimented with many cables over the years with some fairly hi end kit and found little or no difference in sound quality.
    What difference there has been is always very very slight and definetly not worth the money.
    I believe you should just spend the extra money on kit and just get some half decent competent mid range cables.

10. karkus30

karkus30
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,261
    As a person who denied that denied speaker cable made any difference and subsequently discovered that the difference existed, I never say never.
    Personally I have never done a comparison with interconnects, although I have tried several different ones on my Naim system without hearing any differences (apparently thats normal with Naim, they just make do with any old stuff, makes it cheaper to buy the accesories, even if the gear is pricey).

When I bought my first CD player (Arcam Alpha) back in the early 90s, I was offered a set of interconnects instead of the OEM patchcord, with the guarantee that they would make a massive difference. I didnt argue, but I wasnt told the price :rolleyes: and took it on face value (I could return the i/c if they proved not to be better). I never did a back to back comparison.

I am in the camp of 'dont think they make that much difference' but I was proved wrong on speaker cable and lately, mains cable :eek:

11. Stereo Steve

Stereo Steve

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +7
    I think they can make a large difference but it's not in many ways linked to the cost of them. A good well engineered DIY I/C that costs £3 can be every bit as good as a £50 cable. But, a cheapo I/C made from microphone cable is likely to suffer all kinds of nasty effects.

It's the engineering of the cable that's important. What you pay for it is in the hands of the buyer.

12. Barend

Barend

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +9
    Well said!
    You phrased it better than me, but that's what I meant.
    I make them from RG59C/U and attach screened solid (made out of 1 piece)
    RCA plugs, gold plated (just for the looks, though, as there's more resistance to be found in off tolerance sockets, aim for a tight fit inner and outer).
    Not that a few ohms will make any difference though, and usual is 0,1 ohms.
    Take a sort where the inner conductor is also screened, or just leaving a small slit to solder through, effectively making it a double screened plug.
    RG59 is excellent for video ánd audio. But you MUST suck on it for 10 minutes to get the ozon and other gaseous residues out! :D
    Send us a pic to prove you did please.
    Barend

13. bobbypunk

bobbypunk

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I agree completely however different cables (whether they sound better or not) do sound different even at the same price!

14. Barend

Barend

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +9
    Don't wanna sound pedantic :lesson: here, but do a real blind test and I mean that literally...don't think too lightly of the human brain- it's a miracle of make believe!
    Salespeople wink at you and say "Now...hear this cable!" and it's not a valid comparison anymore...
    The only technical reason why a cable can "sound" different is varying capacitance (high capacitance leading to treble roll off which can seem to produce the WARM sound...but actually leaves you without the very high frequencies.
    My KEFs have the famous supertweeter, and you do hear a difference throwing a towel over 'em, but I'm pretty sure that's because these "headlights" roll off downwards so gradually that what you hear is just an addition of "normal" treble - even SACD is studio recorded at 20kHz max.
    And very high frequencies (IF you can hear them, for instance because you're a bat) get VERY pointed so hang from the ceiling and don't move your ears...
    I agree there's mixing products involved too, but now we're talking very minor effects indeed.
    Just my 2 eurocents!
    Barend