1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

5.1 Receiver Upgrade Time.

Discussion in 'AV Receivers & Amplifiers' started by micb3rd, May 17, 2002.

1. micb3rd

micb3rd

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +67
    My current system comprises of a fairly decent Denon Amplifer and a set of Mission M73 floorstanding mains.

It is time for 5.1 and I am thinking of geting:

Mission M7c center.
    Mission M7ds rears.
    Sony SW-MA 40 subwoofer.
    Denon 1602 Receiver.

My room is quite small and I don't require huge SPL levels.

Is the 1602 good enough for a room 10.5 feet wide by 10.5 feet long by 7 foot high?

Is it worth saving up and getting a higher model 1802 or 2802.

2. Guest

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Wouldn't necessarily go for that sub with RS doing a Celestion @ £80 and 2nd hand good'uns popping up for that or less.

1602/2802...hmmm...2802, if you can stretch to it, secondhand 3801 even better (~£350).

Anything else ?

3. micb3rd

micb3rd

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +67
    Celestion @£80 errrrr wheres that?

On RS website ther celestion is £199 and it is only a 8 inch.

I have done a fair bit of research I would like to build a Shiva wich would rock but I need something for the moment untill I can finalise my DIY situation.

The Sony SW-MA 40 is a good budget sub, Tom Nousain seemed to like it when he reviewed it.

e.g.

Sony SA-WM40 vs. Acoustic Research AR112PS
    ---------------------------------------------
    A little Tom Nousain style.
    ---------------------------

Every Day you come across bass in your home theater system but there is one thing....you cant feel or hear that deep bass cause you dont have a subwoofer.
    Thats why i'm bringing you this review on low budget subwoofers, the Acoustic Research AR112PS and the Sony SA-WM40, The AR112PS can be had for as low as $185 online and the SA-WM40 can be had for as low as $139 online.
    Both subwoofers feature 12" cones and both have 120 watt amp acording to Acoustic Research & Sony.
    Both subs are also ported and have back mounted amps, One striking look is on the SA-WM40 it's amp sticks out a couple of inches to save room for more volume in the cabinet.
    While the AR112PS is a slot loaded downfire sub the SA-WM40 is a front fireing rear ported sub.
    Both subs have volume knobs and crossovers, and speaker inputs & outputs, one thing that was different was that the AR112PS's lowest crossover point was 80hz while the SA-WM40 was 50Hz, the ARS112PS has a FR of 28-200Hz while the SA-WM40 has 20-170Hz, The size of the AR112PS is 16"H, 16"W, 15"D, and the SA-WM40 is 14"W, 16"H, 16"D, the SA-WM40 has a nice looking grille cover with a little Sony logo on the top. Both subs have auto-on off.
    It was time to test them now in my 13' 20' room with 8' cellings, both subs were cornerloaded in the left front corner 1 foot from the front wall and 1 foot from the side wall.
    I first started with the AR112PS i played some DVDs ( U-571 , Blade, Toy Story 2, The Matrix, Enemy at the gate and The Haunting ) the AR112PS covered all of those tracks with some omphh but sometimes durring low bass sweeps in the haunting the AR112PS would bottom out and when tunred +5 on my A/V reciever at loud volumes the AR112PS would distort and bottom out like crazy other then that the bass was deep ( extending down to about 30hz ) and playing well over 95dB before distortion was noticeable, the bass was clean but tended to be somewhat boomy and tubby, now going through the same DVDs as the AR112PS did it was time for the SA-WM40 to prove its point, During the haunting the bass was somewhat deeper then the AR112PS ( extending down to about 25Hz with clean output ) the bass filled the room well during all tracks the bass was much more solid then the AR112PS and whent way louder without distortion the bass was clean, smooth deep and loud not to mention verry solid and hard hitting the bass was verry puncy which means i felt the bass punch me in the chest.
    Overall the Sony was the clear winner and it had its strong points : solid puncy bass, deep clean & loud, smooth sounding and verry tight, The AR112PS also had its strong points for being loud, clean and verry smooth.

SA-WM40 - 20Hz @80dB, 25Hz @94dB, 30Hz @103dB 35Hz @111dB
    AR112PS - 20Hz @74dB , 25Hz @86dB, 30Hz @97dB, 35Hz @104dB
    ---------------------------------------------------------
    Those were takin using a program called Spectra plus i hooked the Subs up to my computer using a A/V amp and recorded the SPL at 1 meter distince.

4. Pzycho

Pzycho

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
  5. micb3rd

micb3rd

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +67
    The 3801 looks very nice at £300 but I am oftern very reluctant to buy secondhand, If I did buy I would get no years warenty and if a channel went in six months I would be stuffed with no amp.

Is the 1602/1802 really that bad or should I save for a bit longer?

6. westy1507

westy1507

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    There is absolutely nothing wrong with the Denon 1602/1802.
    For your first system it's advisable not to spend a fortune on the best amp you can get because six months down the line it'll just get replaced by a new model - seems to be the trend these days unfortunately.

The 2802 and the 3801 mentioned in the thread are super amps, but to say that is doing the babies of the range a disservice - these are superb recievers for silly money, boasting all the trademark qualities of the bigger brothers in the range like processing speed, musicality, power and ease of use. Obviously the 2802 etc offer extended surround, but for now i'd concentrate on 5.1, then when you next want to upgrade, thee'll be plenty of 6.1 amps waiting for your attention.

Good speaker choices too, though for a small room you could do without the sub for now, the m73's will have more than enough grunt for bass duites. Going for a cheap sub is just wasting money. More wonga buys better control, more power, slam and depth. Cheap subs have never appealed to me, not even as a first time buyer. Save up and for a small room, do have a look at the MJ Acoustics PRO 50, which at £299 [or less in some places], is perfect for small rooms.

Hope this helps

Westy

7. Guest

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Last two months What Hi-Fi ad. Mr. "Fair bit of research".

Nothing personal but the "I don't like buying stuff secondhand" brigade kind-of 'do my head in'.

Mike.

8. micb3rd

micb3rd

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +67
    It was a honest question on where that deal was, I would hardly call me missing one advert on an magazine a lack on my research into subwoofers.

I have been looking at the AdireAudio Shiva white papers and refrence designs but as I said erlier I need more time for DIY and some extra bass for the time being would be nice.

9. jason t

jason t

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +38
    i have a 2801 for sale in black if interested mail me!!

jason

10. Ian J

Ian J
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,906
    To get back to the original question, the Denon 1602 is perfectly adequate for your room, especially as you do not require high volume levels.

Obviously, the more you spend the better will be the amp but everyone has a budget and anything you have left over would be better spent going towards a quality sub.

Flimber

If that isn't personal, what is ?

I frequently buy second hand as it enables me to buy higher quality for a given sum but I am aware that it doesn't suit everybody