Question 5.1 Receiver recommendations to run M.A. Bronze BR5 and SVS PB12 Plus/2 sub

longwori

Established Member
Reaction score
Hi all,

I have been using a 2011 Sony receiver that according to the reviews is a good entry level receiver. It is the Sony STR-DH820. I used to use it on some a small 5.1 speaker set up but then a drunken night on Ebay and the speakers got bigger and bigger!

I am now using Monitor Audio Bronze BR5 floor standers front and rear, the BR-LCR centre and a huge SVS PB12 Plus/2 sub that I love.

I like the sound but I suspect that now the weak point of my system is now probably the old entry-level receiver. A slight worry is that it looks as though it is meant to drive speakers in the range of 8-16 Ohm and the Monitor Audio Bronze speakers are 6 Ohm. I have not lost much sleep over the ohms issue and have enjoyed it for a few years without issue.

The shock of what I have spent so far is now wearing off and I am feeling the need for a change. I am always keener to buy something better that is used rather than spending the same money to get something new with features that I don't need. Is this a good idea? (Buy an older high-end receiver that used to have an RRP of £1500 for £500 or buy a new mid-range receiver at £500 where the amplifier technology may have advanced?)

It may sound like a daft question but going from an entry-level receiver to a higher-end one will help me how? I assume it will have more power - does this make it sound better? Its loud enough as it is. Is it just clearer surround effects that I am investing in? Sorry, I am just trying to justify the upgrade when what I have makes surround sound and a lot of it so I am not sure what improvement to expect.

I would be interested in the answer to the above and assuming I will be easily convinced, I am looking for a solid, well-reviewed receiver that will do 5.1 - maybe 7.1 and is powerful. I don't need Atmos or streaming, don't want to spend any more than £500 and am happy with old or new.

I was thinking something along the lines of Pioneer SC-LX58, Yamaha RX-A3030, Denon AVR-4520, Denon AVR-X5200, Marantz SR7009.....

I welcome any musings.....

My musings in terms of used vs new is what is your attitude to risk?

For example, £1500 ish could get you a decent new AVR with a 5 year warranty. So you know you will be good for at least five years. You could buy a five year old one for £500, maybe, that could last forever or might only last a few months.

The last two used amps I bought developed faults within 6 months. So, I'm not buying used electronics again. If you shop around, you can get good deals, new with warranty, such as end of line and open box items.

So, you have £500 to spend, and you are looking for a decent amp for a 5.1 system? Is £500 the absolute maximum? Do you use the system for music or just movies and TV?

Hi, I am happy to take the risk with used equipment if it is better than new equipment at the same price.

It is purely for movies.

Any thoughts?

Hi, I am happy to take the risk with used equipment if it is better than new equipment at the same price.
Define better.

The older equipment at the same price as newer equipment will be a higher tier device. So, it should have been built with better quality components and have more power, and better DACs etc.

But, it could die at any minute and therefore become a brick.

It also may no longer operate at it's optimal performance, it could be faulty.

It will also have out of date technology, especially in terms of HDMI and video passthrough.

So, it's about prioritising what is important, eg sound quality / features / reliability / price ?

Better sound quality. The price is a ceiling. The features are sufficient on an older receiver.

I accept your point on warranty and risk. Do you have anything in mind?

Thanks

For sound quality with older features I would suggest a Cambridge Audio or Arcam. But you would have to get quite an old one to stay in a budget of £500.

Personally, I wouldn't buy used electronics without a warranty, after a few bad experiences, so I'd probably suggest an end of line or open box Denon AVR, with warranty, maybe a 2x00 model might be in budget.

Hi Longwori, if it's of any interest I have an Arcam AVR350 I'm selling on. It's a reliable amp in very good condition, fitted with a new contoller board by Arcam some years ago and has been fine ever since. There's no 4k passthough and it's only 5.1, but I'm selling it for a lot less (and I mean a lot less) than £500. PM me if you're interested.

Sorry, what was I thinking? of course, the AVR350 is 7 .1; the extra two channels are for bi-amping or 2nd room amplification, not Atmos.

Hi chaps, thank for the replies. I'm on holiday at the moment with patchy coverage so apologies for the delay in responding.

I'll take a look at the Denon and Arcam reviews. I assume you mean the Denon AVR-X2600H which seems to be the current model and comes in at £469 from Peter Tyson.

Thanks, Ian

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom