5.1 Rears Advice... :-(

Discussion in 'Home Cinema Buying & Building' started by oHUTCHYo, Jun 15, 2015.

1. oHUTCHYo

oHUTCHYo

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6
    I'm expecting delivery of Monitor Audio BX6 floor standers, BX centre and BX subwoofer tomorrow.

I now need to order some suitable rears. However I'm becoming very anxious with what to choose; BX1 or BXFX. I almost feel regret, as so all this money and effort will not give me a reasonable 5.1 experience.

Below is my room plan. As you can see, I have very little space as the couch is aligned against the back wall. My wife won't allow me to wall mount speakers either. So either way, I would need to have either speaker choice on stands to the sides of the couch.

Would the BX1 on stands be a reasonable decision? Technically I understand they should be behind the couch, but if they are to the side and forward facing will I still get some enjoyment from 5.1 surround?

Is there any benefit to squeezing in BXFX sat on stands in said position?

Bonus question; suggested stands to buy that would suit the BX1 or BXFX?

[​IMG]

2. Roohster

Roohster
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5,795
    I'd have recommended the BXFX of you were able to wall mount, as you'll be sat pretty close to one of them.

Only problem is that it's recommended that you position bipole/dipole speakers above head height, so you'd need some really tall stands.

I think that you'd be sat way too close to use monopoles like the BX1s.

May I ask why wall mounting is out of the question?
    Appearance-wise, it'd be a neater solution than using very tall stands.
    From the plan it looks like you'd have to mount on the back wall if your wife could be persuaded, due to the gap/entrance to the left of the rear sofa.

There's an old thread here about tall stands:
    Tall speaker stands for rear speakers - help! | AVForums

3. PSM1

PSM1
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5,443
    I agree with the advice above. The BXFX are the speakers you want due to having very little space to the rear of the sofa. The FX speakers are quite slim compared to the BX1s so do not protrude out from the wall that much. In fact wall mounting them will be the neater solution I feel. Maybe order the BXFX and then you can place one against the wall to show your wife what it looks like. The reality of it may be significantly different to what she imagines it will look like. Luckily I have a very understanding wife who appreciates good sound too so do not have to fight to get speakers in the proper positions.

4. oHUTCHYo

oHUTCHYo

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6
    Thanks for the advice guys. I must say my Wife has been extremely supportive, especially given the huge floor standers. The main concern really is that we have the alcove, which nicely hides the fronts, centre and sub. When I first had the TV wall mounted, I also had channeling chased in for wall mounted front speakers (imagine a giant T shape), for my Bose 3.2.1 system at the time. I've since plastered over the speaker holes as decided I wanted floor standers.

The concern now is having the mount the rears and a) having unsightly cables leading up the wall or b) chasing the cabling in to the wall and plastering over.

So the impression I'm getting from you both is, it's definitely worth the 'trouble' of the BXFX over trying out the BX1 on speaker stands given the absence of space around the couch?

5. PSM1

PSM1
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5,443
    I just spotted the alcove for the speakers which may not be ideal given what you are going for up front. Floorstanding speakers do not like being too near a corner of a room and being in an alcove is possibly worse. This is because you get a boundary effect which can make the bass boomy and muddy the mid range. You may want to try putting a bung in the port as this can help reduce the effect. The thing that concerned me was the comment of the fronts being hidden by the alcove which to me suggest they are going to be tucked in. Really you want a good amount of space to the side and rear of the speakers (maybe something line 30-40cm or more).
    On the rear speakers the BXFX are definitely the ones you want.

6. oHUTCHYo

oHUTCHYo

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6
    Eek. They were just delivered today. I guess I'm just going to have to try and see how the floor-standers sound :facepalm: Thankfully they were a real bargain.

A for the rears, thanks for convincing me on the BXFX, I just need to convince a certain someone else now ;)

7. PSM1

PSM1
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5,443
    Do you have a sub? If you do and the fronts sound booms then increase the crossover on the fronts since this might help.

8. oHUTCHYo

oHUTCHYo

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6
    I do mate, the BXW10 sub. I can play around with the crossover once I pick an AVR and get it all setup. Today I took delivery of the Monitor Audio BX6 floor standers, BXW10 sub and BX centre. The plan was to then buy some rears. Finally, set it all up some time in July once I pick an AVR (likely a Sony 1060).

I'm almost starting to wish I never bothered and send the lot back on the basis of distance selling act and spend the money on a simple soundbar and new TV. :(

9. Roohster

Roohster
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5,795
    Stick with it, a soundbar will never give you anything approaching true surround.
    The alcove looks pretty wide, so try to get as much space between your floorstanders and the side walls as mentioned by PSM.

10. PSM1

PSM1
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5,443
    Sony may not be the best match for your speakers. Denon, Yamaha and marantz are more common recommendations for monitor audio speakers.

11. oHUTCHYo

oHUTCHYo

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6
    Thank you, came home from work and convinced myself I'm doing the right thing.

Thanks PSM. What power output do you think I need to get the best out of the BX6? I picked the Sony only on the basis of I liked how it looked and the 165W rating seemed a good bang for buck.

12. PSM1

PSM1
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5,443
    Ignore the power values quoted by avrs. The Sony will put nowhere near the 165w claimed. The min power for the Bx6 will be something like 10 or 20w which will mean any avr will power them. More power does not mean better sound. Also no need for more than a few watts to give ample volume. 165w would probably give you hearing damage.

13. oHUTCHYo

oHUTCHYo

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6
    I see there are new Denon and Yanaha models due out between now and end of July, perhaps I should be patient and wait for those.

14. PSM1

PSM1
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5,443
    Or get one of last year's models on the cheap as they sell them off.