1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

5.1 prologic and DVD sound question

Discussion in 'AV Receivers & Amplifiers' started by mattym, Oct 12, 2003.

1. mattym

mattym
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +101
    Hi guys

sorry if this is in the wrong forum, i was bewildered by the choice....

I got a Samsung DVD511 and a Prologic decoder(cheap) The question is this: When i watch The Others or The Matrix(reloaded) that are encoded in 5.1, the speech is really quiet, yet the music and everything else are far too loud. Is this cos of the setup? Would i be better off not going through the Prologic set?

Also, if i do need to have a 5.1 set up, would i be better off jst getting an amp, or should i get a dvd with built in amp?:confused:

2. 337GUS

337GUS

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +18
    Hi

It would help to know what speakers you have as well as budget and futrure plans, aspirations etc.

As some general advice you would be advised to ditch the pro logic decoder.

You need 2 front and 2 rear speakers, a centre speaker (looks like a normal speaker on it's side) and a subwoofer (bass unit). This is the 5.1 portion.

Your Samsung DVD should be ok.

You also need a 5.1 amp or receiver(an amp plus radio) - have a look at Yamaha and Denon.

http://www.avland.co.uk/amplifier/index.htm

Do a search on this forum and you willl get loads of advice for starter systems.

Any questions - ask - happy to help.

Regards

Gus

3. mattym

mattym
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +101
    Hi

I bought a Goodmans DPL last year, i changed the speakers for Sony units as they were much better, its fine for most stuff that i do, but it seems that on some DVDs the speach is really quiet.

I would probably get a seperate amp if required, i only need to buy a centre speakler, i got a sub already, im running the fronts from that, as i say, music and sounds are loud and clear and correctly positioned and the bass is good now, but i just have trouble hearing the speach! the only way i can hear it is to turn the telly up, even the centre speaker volume on full is to quiet.:(