1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

5.1 Preamp

Discussion in 'AV Receivers & Amplifiers' started by BenC, Dec 12, 2002.

1. BenC

BenC

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6
    I've just bought a Philips DVD-963sa DVD/SACD player and want to start enjoying multi-channel SACD. However, I can't find many pre-amps with 5.1 analogue inputs! The only two I've found so far are the Tag AV32R 192 BP, and one of the Krell ones (Both too much money just to give me multi channel SACD)

I really want to keep things as pure as possible. I currently am running 2 channel Krell pre/power + KEF reference This sounds stunning. Does anyone know of an audio only 5.1 channel pre? I specifically do NOT want any audio or video processing, or built in power amplification.

Cheers.

Ben.

2. CIMPSA

CIMPSA
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi Ben

I think that Sony made one, and if I remenber correctly was something about £500-800?

Can't remenber the model, but probably TA_...

Worth dooing a search, I saw it in a magazine's review a few months ago (Hi_Fi News probably)

Hope this helps...

PS: I do remenber that they were not easy to get hold of...

Carlos

3. Flimber

Flimber
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,477
    TA-E9000ES (?) Link Online (late lamented) sold out the last of them at £399.95 but they appear occasionally second user. Don't forget Rotel pre-amps and there is also a Marantz pre which looks nice.

As for not wanting power amplification, you may have to accept an a/v amp/reciever for simplicity's sake and just forget the onboard amps are there.

Mike.

EDIT: I'll leave my comments up but they don't really apply here :blush:

4. fyonn

fyonn

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +48
    I've recently bought a rotelrsp 1066 which I'm very happy with. it's a 7.1 HT preamp which decodes all the normal stuff (dd, dts, ex, es, dpl2) as well as video switching for svideo, composite and component (the newer models have 200mhz of bandwidth for component switching.

it also has a 6.1 (or 7.1, not quite sure) analogue input which bypasses the dsp and goes straight out via the volume control. perhaps this is what you're after?

there are some issues with bass in multichannel input mode bu the pre/pro is firmware upgradeable and rotel are just about due to release a new firmware to fix these things. the actual problem (which may not affect you) can be found on various HT bbs's, as I don't use the multichannel input I can't give yo a reference off hand.

it costs just under 1000 pounds and it seems like a pretty good deal to me, sounds great.

dave

PS. I'vegot kef reference 1's as main LR, I thought they sounded good when I used them with my old pioneer integrated HT amp, then I bought a sony tan9000es power and and they just got so much better. they are speakers that really like wads of extra pwer behind them

5. NicolasB

NicolasB

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +669
    I have a faint recollection from somewhere that Copland do a rather nice 5-channel valve pre-amp, but this is probably out of your price bracket....

6. michaelab

michaelab

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +10
    Yep - the Copland CVA306, £1499, no processing, no bullsh*t, just 5.1 channels of valve pre-amp :p . Reviewed in the HiFi Choice "Awards" issue (still the current issue I believe - it's blue and gold on the cover). It got an "Editors Choice" gong so I guess they liked it :)

The CVA535 (£2249) power amp reviewed along side it looks pretty tasty too...

Michael.

7. BenC

BenC

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6
    Thanks for all the info guys. I may consider swapping my Krell KRC-3 pre for the Copland. This seems like just the job.

Ben.

8. alexs2

alexs2

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,674
    If you're considering swapping the Krell KRC3 for a Copland,you may find quite a difference in sound balance and quality,especially if,like me,you enjoy the sound of your Krells as they are.
    I recently added a TagMclaren AV32R to my system,and find it's slightly dry sound suits the Krell monoblocs I have very well....worth bearing in mind.

9. cmrayer

cmrayer
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Try Cyrus AV8 with the optional 5.1 input (£1400), they usually produce a good clear sound

10. HouseofMu

HouseofMu

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +13

fyonn,
    I have a Rotel 966 (straight 5.1) , and have been looking for a route to 6.1/7.1 setup, so I'm interested in the 1066 or other processor. Trouble is they a l seem to be £2-3k.

Do you have any more info on the 1066 replacment ?
    Does your 1066 allow PAL prog. on its switching?
    And finally, where can it be had for the price you got it for ?

cheers

11. fyonn

fyonn

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +48

the 1066 isn't. the RRP for the 1066 is ú995 although youcan probably talk them down a bit, I did.

what do you mean, more info on the 1066 (which is fairly new in itself, less than a year). that can be found on rotel's website. they have links to a couple of reviews of the 1066 too, it seems to be very well thought of, and I certainly like mine.

[QUOTEDoes your 1066 allow PAL prog. on its switching?[/QUOTE]

I couldn't say as I a) don't have a component display device and b) do't have a pal, or indeed any progressive source :) however, it has about 200mhz of component bandwidth apparently wihch is enough for HDTV and I know it doesn't put an OSD onto the component outputs so it might well be that it just switches the video and doesn't mess with it so progressive might well work. or see if there is anything relevant in the reviews listed on rotel's site or even post in club rotel on www.htguide.org.

any rotel dealer :)

any more questions, just ask, I'll do my best :)

12. HouseofMu

HouseofMu

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +13
    fyonn, thanks for the quick reply.

I plan on using a pj with several progressive sources ( dvd, game consoles) so would like progressive (NTSC/PAL) to be handled.

this review states component video switching (non-progressive capable). which is a shame, as I think this would've been top of my list.

Newer model: no, my mistake in reading the postings.
    But sub £1k price is nice.

I can't see why more manufactures don't produce stand-alone processors, they're all capable of making them with amps built in, why not a stripped down version with just decoders?

cheers.

13. fyonn

fyonn

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +48
    hey, isn;t that what email notifications and a quiet day at work arefor? ;)

well, it has 2 component inputs so if you have more then this might be a problem. since the original omdel came out it has been upgraded. a few months after the first came on sale dolby digital EX was added as a free firmware update and more recently they've upgraded the component switching from 10mhz to lots :) they may very well have added progressive then too. try asking on the club rotel forum. I imagine someone must know (or alternately, phone them (or in the UK, phone B&W as they are rotel's distributer) and ask. I've spoken to them on the phone before and they have been very helpful (top marks rotel/B&W btw, excellent customer service)

well, there is apparently a newer, higher end model in the works, the 1098, but thats likely to be way up in the price lists, ie 2-3 grand or so. also not out yet:)

yeah, I really wanted an av32r but I couldn't justify the money, even on the second hand market. this i picked up for half the second hand value of a tag and as far as I'm concerned, it seems to do all the same things. perhaps it doesn't have the upgradeability of the tag, but it is firmware upgradeable and they have released several upgrades already showing that they are prepared to listen to their customers.

I think it's because more people want all in one boxes where they can plug a dvd player in one end and speakers in the other.

why not find a local rotel dealer, borrow one for a week and see what you think?

dave

14. BenC

BenC

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6
    Just got hold of a second hand Copland CVA 306. I'm impressed. While it's no Krell beater, it is pretty good for the money, and not a processing chip in sight!