1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

5.1 pc games how many are there?

Discussion in 'PC Gaming & Rigs' started by SILVERBACK, Nov 5, 2003.

1. SILVERBACK

SILVERBACK

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +73
    looking at getting a reasonably cheap pc card for 5.1 gaming but how many games (new) are released in 5.1 or is it like the xbox and there all 5.1 ?:confused:

2. BBCuk2day

BBCuk2day
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Nearly all games are eax which gives the impression of 5.1 but aparently new games i.e max payne 2 are in 5.1.
    This is probably a sign of things to come wi the xbox doing it pc games will most likely all become 5.1.
    Can i just ask y the game needs to be in 5.1? they all sound as good anyway especially new titles.
    If you play alot of pc games i would recommend an audigy 2 they can be had relatively cheap but dont forget to get speakers as well as the card :)

3. SILVERBACK

SILVERBACK

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +73
    no one told me about buying speakers aswell lmao im playing it through my amp mate when i get the card.i take it i can just get a long optical an run it from the pc to the amp ??

4. CENSORED

CENSORED

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    EAX (Environmental Audio eXtensions) are a set of acoustic models that enhance the environmental impact of various sounds. Strictly speaking they do not mimic surround sounds at all, the placement of the sound in the surround matrix is a separate issue. What EAX does is match certain sounds to the surroundings. For example, if someone approaches you from behind in a game the surround matrix will place their footsteps in a precise position, if the person is moving from left to right the placement will shift around the rear speakers so that your ears can sense the movement. If the environment is a large room with stone walls such as a cellar EAX will provide authentic echo and reverb, if the environment is a small densely furnished room it will provide damping, and if you're in space you'll hear nothing ;)

EAX can take big performance hits so it's a balancing act between machine spec, resolution and framerate. Used properly and thoughfully in a game the effect can be sonically dazzling.

5. BBCuk2day

BBCuk2day
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    i too have been tryin to connect my audigy 2 to my amp through analog out/in but the wires i have bought are to big at the 3.5mm end therefore i cant get all three connected only 2 out of the three!
    Thx for that info about eax i just knew that it sounded good :)

6. CENSORED

CENSORED

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    As a matter of interest, have you tried using the digital co-axial (sp/dif) output to your amp rather than analogue? I'm also assuming you have the PCI version of Audigy 2, if so then you can't help but notice all those header pins on the card which can be hooked up to a drive bay socket panel which allows all sorts of in's and out's, Creative's website is a good place to look to see what they are and if any will suit you better and solve your problem.

I run a Sigma X-Card dvd decoder which has digital out for the sound but there's nowhere on the Audigy 2 that accepts a digital input. But those header pins certainly handle digital in, so I did a few web searches, found a pin layout diagram and used a spare cd rom audio lead I had hanging around to loop from the X-Card's on-board digital Out header to the Audigy 2 digital In header. Sounds fantastic and cost nowt. Result.

7. BBCuk2day

BBCuk2day
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I have the digital out hooked up to my but for dvds not ganes! Wont it just be in stereo sound not surround sound wi games outta digital out?
    Thx for the info about a break out box!

Y do you use a dvd decoder card? what are the benefits? And maybe im missing something but y connect it to your audigy and not straight to your amp? To cut the amount of cables?

8. SILVERBACK

SILVERBACK

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +73
    OI YOU 2 GET YOUR OWN THREAD LMAO or give me a simple answer lol on the 5.1 card will there be a optical/coax output so i can run a optical/coax cable from the card to my amp?

9. BBCuk2day

BBCuk2day
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Depends on the card! What card is it your after? If there is a spdif you can run a coax/optical cable to your amp lots of peeps on these forums have done the same (including me) But for games i am unsure as i dont have max payne 2 to test whether the new dolby digital games pass through a digital signal i would assume they do and if they dont just connect the analog outs!
    Also i would add if you are using your soundcard for gaming i wouldn't get a cheap one (depends on your system, budget, what the cheap one is your getting though)

10. SILVERBACK

SILVERBACK

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +73
    http://www.pcworld.co.uk/martprd/st....0&page=Product&sku=556234&category_oid=-9886

just a£30 creative labs 1 mate,you know what makes me laugh you cajn get an xbox for next to nothing basically a reasonable gaming PC with 5.1 yet when you come to getting the same stuff on the pc its cheaper to feed a 3rd world country lmao.cheers for your help though what budget would you recommend.my pc is pentium4 2ghz 256 ram geforce 420 graphics card and 40 gig hdd

11. CENSORED

CENSORED

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Silverback,

Do you have on-board 5.1 audio? Some of these chipsets are very impressive nowadays. Even though nForce 2 is AC97 based the 5.1 audio is bloody good. On an Intel board I have read that the Realtek sound is even better! Just a thought.

12. SagaLout

SagaLout

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +17
    On the xbox pricing thing, thats because they lose money on every console sale (Sony lost about £150 on every PS2 when they first came out) because they make all the money on the games. Obviously 3rd party PC component makers tend to want to make a profit ;)

13. BBCuk2day

BBCuk2day
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Dont think there are any really good onboard sound ones for pentium (sounstorm is only amd i could be wrong tho not checked up on stuff for a while)
    As for the card if ya can stretch to just over 50 ya can get an audigy 2 oem! Just means that it wont come wi the games like the retail version does.
    As for pc being dear well thats true but as saga said they make a loss on consoles and recoup on software whereas software is cheap in comparison for the pc! Also pc ya can do alot more than just game :)
    O yeah link for soundcard if ya want http://www.scan.co.uk just goto soundcard section lot cheaper than pc world :)

14. CENSORED

CENSORED

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    nVidia Soundstorm is AC97 based and is found on nForce equipped mobo's which are AMD only. I have a Gigabyte GA-8KNXP Intel mobo which has Realtek on-board sound. I haven't heard it as my new rig isn't quite ready yet so can't do a comparison but I'm told it is better than Soundstorm. Nonetheless, I will be using my Audigy 2 in my new setup which is superb.

15. Kramer

Kramer

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Off topic but the on-board sound (AC '97, "Soundstorm") on my NF7-S (Rev.2) is at least equal to my Audigy 2 :eek:

:smoke:

16. CENSORED

CENSORED

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I recently changed the A7N8X in my watercooled rig for an NF7-S (rev 2.0) and removed the Audigy 2 for my Vapochill. Reason for the change was that IMO the Abit board has a more stable power supply and gives better clocks than the Asus board. I enabled the on-board audio on the NF7-S and plugged my speakers in not expecting too much. I was very impresssed indeed. The Soundstorm control panel is quite comprehensive but I haven't checked out it's EAX abilities yet, if it has any that is.

One other thing. You know that I have a rev counter in my case and that it is wired to cpu load. It appears that the nForce chipset takes much bigger cpu hits than Audigy 2 (without EAX). Nonetheless, if you look at it in terms of a 'free' audio card, Soundstorm is a fantastic bonus.

17. Mr_Belowski

Mr_Belowski

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +281
    Not wanting to pull this thread even further off topic...

Remember that there are 2 very different integrated 5.1 surround sound cards on the NForce2 motherboards. The "SoundStorm" is the good one, usually found on the 'deluxe' versions of the boards. The not-so-good-but-still-OK 5.1 system, found on most of the NForce2 boards is a RealTek 650 Codec.

The is a lot of difference in the processing capabilities of the 2 chips - the SoundStorm is a proper integrated sound card and is generally regarded to be as good as an Audigy 2. The Realtek is basically an I/O interface, with all the sound processing done by the CPU.

My Asus Nforce2 A7N8X-X mobo has the Realtek sound system, and TBH it's not that good. I bought a Herc Fortissimo 3 7.1 sound card for £35 and it sounds miles better.

So be careful to check what the mobo comes with if you want a SoundStorm. If it does SAY "SoundStorm" then it's a RealTek 650.

18. SILVERBACK

SILVERBACK

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +73
    cheers for all your input but i think im just gonna leave it lol.i got it hooked up through my amp now but not 5.1 cheers boys anyway lmao.

19. james.miller

james.miller

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +143
    let's get a few things straight (even if i AM too late lol).

* soundstorm and non-soundstorm BOTH have ac97 chipsets. the difference is that the soundstorm does all the processing on-board, while the non-soundstorm boards cut corners and use the cpu for certain processes - hence the bigger cpu draw.

the ac'97 chips (in case of the nf7-s, they are realtek's) only do the d.a.c duties on soundstorm boards, nothing else.

be careful when people say you should use a digital connection to your amp/speakers - more often than not people who have actually tested the soundstorm on these boards prefer analogue thru the realteks for music. The reason is because the DICE encoder (realtime 5.1 DD encoder) rolls of steeply at the top end, while the analogue is fairly flat and sounds more "open".

20. betamac

betamac

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I also have the Asus A7N8X Deluxe board and use Soundstorm audio by connecting my Digital creative speakers directly into the digital input on the motherboard and the sound is truly fantastic, easily as good as audigy 2 if not a touch better expecially during music playback,

considering you get get the Deluxe boards for less than £100 now its a bargain

21. CENSORED

CENSORED

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Couldn't agree more.