5.1 Passthrough on Windows Media Player?

AndyH

Established Member
Reaction score
Hi,

I'm setting up my HCPC and I'm using a Soundblaster MP3+ (external USB).

This is working great except for one thing, I can't persuade Windows Media Player to output 5.1 sound. In WinDVD I need to enable the S/PDIF passthrough option to get DD / DTS through the optical connection.

Trouble is, I can't find a similar option for Windows Media Player.. is this possible?

It isn't a great loss if it isn't, but it'd be nice to try the new hi-def WMV9 trailers properly.

Cheers,
A.

Nope, not possible. WM9 trailers or films don't have DD or DTS but are encoded using a MS codec. Only way to pass this to a receiver via S/PDIF is if using an nForce 2 mainboard - has realtime DD encoding.

You can pass the 6 analogue channels but it's not that convenient for many :(.

Excellent, thanks for the quick reply. Your explanation is spot on, it makes perfect sense why this isn't possible.

The MP3+ doesn't have the full compliment of analogue outs, so even that option is a non starter with this device.

No problem, DD / DTS from WinDVD was the important thing for me. If anyone is interested in a little tip, DTS passthrough on this device only works if it is in Digital Only mode.

Thanks again,
A.

thanks for this topic. I have an ASUS nforce2 mobo and am using the asus coax spdif output. works great. I can output using spdif with wmvhd but only comes out as PCM stereo. How do I enable realtime DD output to listen to 5.1 wmvhd?

also, anyone have info on more media using the wmvhd format?

thanks

b

if you have the asus a7n8s DELUX, then it would be:

soundstorm control panel >> speaker setup >> dolby digital encoding

If you don't have the deluxe with soundstorm, then you can't do it.

i have the -vm version, micro atx. therefore no soundstorm. What if I buy an audigy or similar. Will that card convert spdif output to dd or dts?

thanks

b

Hi,

I'm thinking of getting a Shuttle 45 case which has soundstorm, but I read some where that the DD encoding only encodes all of the 5.1 channels from the stereo fronts. Does anyone know if this is true. Or do you get proper 5.1 DD when inputting WM9 5.1?

Cheers,
Stuart.

it will encode any material into 5.1 - thet includes multi channel games and videos.

Originally posted by james.miller
it will encode any material into 5.1 - thet includes multi channel games and videos.

which will? My -vm asus mobo does not. Are you referring to the audigy?

thanks

b

no sorry, i was refering to Too Tall's question above my post. As for your problem, the soundstorm is current the only solution that can encode into 5.1

Originally posted by james.miller
no sorry, i was refering to Too Tall's question above my post. As for your problem, the soundstorm is current the only solution that can encode into 5.1

so, even the audigy or any other PCI add in card will NOT work to output 5.1 wmvhd? Rats.....

b

Originally posted by freeflap
so, even the audigy or any other PCI add in card will NOT work to output 5.1 wmvhd?

Via S/PDIF, no. Only "Soundstorm" will encode for passthrough via S/PDIF to a processor/receiver.

Most soundcards will output 5.1 through analogue outputs i.e. 6 individual co-axial connections to suitable amp/receiver.

:smoke:

So what am I getting out of my wmvhd copy of ' the transporter'

It says dolby digital on my receiver ;)

Spidif through Audigy.

Toekiller, you're getting the DD track on the DVD.

The DD processing on the nForce 2 is pretty cool, but it's not that necessary. If you've got pro logic 2 on your amp you'll be better using that for stereo movies, I find the voices to be much more realistic. For music it can be good or bad, depending on what your taste is. I had it on for a while but I've got it off for the moment.

Originally posted by Kramer
Nope, not possible.

Not quite true, the hardware and software already exists to do this, it just isn't readily available yet.

All you need is a Pioneer AX10ai AV amp and the Microsoft driver.

Guys,

My question seams to have been slightly misunderstood. I'll make it clearer (or not as the case maybe):

I realize that soundstorm can encode anything into DD5.1. What I was asking was that I had heard that it just sent the stereo front pair to all the speakers. Even when given a 5.1 sound track it will down mix it to 2 channel and then put the left channel to the 2 left speaker front as back, the right channel to the 2 right speakers front and back, and then mix them to give the centre and sub. Basically giving you 5.1 stereo is this true? (to be honest if this is true I'd be better off sending PCM stereo to my Denon A1SR and let it do the work). Or does it put each channel from a 5.1 (say WM9) sound track to the correct speaker in DD5.1?

Cheers,
Stuart.

it encodes it into 5.1DD. it wouldnt BE 5.1DD unless every channel was capable of producing its own signal. If the fronts were just doubled up to the rears, then it would only be 2.1.

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom