5.1 package + 2 Speakers = 7.1 - HELP!

jrwagh333

Hi there, im looking into buying a cheapish but good 5.1 speaker package. im going to buy the Onkyo 605 AV reciver with a 5.1 speaker package. i was woundering can i then buy 2 extra speakers which would then make it 7.1? if so what speakers would i need?

Thanks

Matt_C

Distinguished Member
If the amp has 7.1 speakers outputs (ie, 7 speakers teminals (front L+R, rear L+R, Surround back L+R, and centre) and sub pre out) and does 7.1 decoding then you'll be fine....

But if the amp only has outputs for 5 speakers and a sub, and only does 5.1 decoding, then there's little point getting another pair of speakers as they will have nothing to connect to.....

Badger0-0

Distinguished Member
It is a 7.1 amp :smashin:

What's the maximum you're willing to spend?

Sniper

Depending on your room size ... i would say don't dilute your budget on 7.1 ... get a better 5.1 system.

Badger0-0

Distinguished Member
Totally agree, given that there are very few 7.1 soundtracks.
A decent 5.1 and just a few quid on the rear surrounds.

hornydragon

Distinguished Member
The canton speaker ranges 5.1 systems are bundles of seakers so you can buy pairs, singles to suit your needs have a look at the special member offers http://www.avforums.com/forums/showthread.php?t=195561
Something like a CD151 with a pair of CD10s would be ideal for a smaller room budget to partner the 605. Or upgrade fronts to CD50 and use sat at rear there are loads of options to suit budget and taste

The latest video from AVForums

LG CX Best Picture Settings
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom