5.1 outputs perfectly, 2.0 does not!

Discussion in 'Blu-ray & DVD Players & Recorders' started by evh5150, Nov 1, 2005.

1. evh5150

evh5150
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi there folks,

Am experiencing a very odd problem with my new LG DR7800 DVD Recorder.

I have the DR7800 connected to my Altec Lansang Dolby Digital 5.1 system via coaxial, and when I'm playing a DVD with audio encoded in 5.1, everything is great. However, anything in Dolby Digital 2.0 is jumpy & is unlistenable. Thus we have the problem of the movie (5.1) playing no problem, but listening to the audio commentary, or viewing the DVD menu (both 2.0) there are serious audio problems.

This is further confused by the fact that my built-in TV speakers (Philips 6006) play both 5.1 & 2.0 without any problem at all. This leads me to believe that either my DR7800 is failing to output the 2.0 correctly, or the surround system is failing to accept that signal.

By the way, MPEG audio streams play with no problem.

So far, the only way I have found around this is to set up my DVD player so that instead of outputting a 5.1 signal (bitstream) to my surround system, it downmixes it to PCM instead. Obviously, this is far from ideal as I miss out on the 5.1 surround effect.

Has anyone else every come across this? It is a totally new one on me & I am somewhat baffled. Any help appreciated, thanks!

EVH

2. evh5150

evh5150
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Have now tried:

1. Using a different coaxial cable (same problem on DD 2.0).
    2. Using two other DVD players (another LG & a Goodmans) to check that there is no problem with the 5.1 system (no problems at all)
    3. Hooking the DR7800 up to a different 5.1 system via coaxial (no problems).

If anyone has any ideas I'd love to hear them. :s

EVH

3. evh5150

evh5150
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Ended up having to take the recorder back. A real shame. :mad:

EVH

4. LEE UtdK

LEE UtdK

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    HI evh5150

I have exactly the same problem with hooking up my new SONY RDR-GX210 to a Videologic DIGITHEATRE. I am at my wits end now. Was about to post this problem on the forum and found your thread but was gutted at the lack of response. Seems like you have eliminated a series of options for me to like trying a new optic or coax etc etc. Maybe I might take my recorder back...and to think I only got it because my old player of 4 years ago won't play ripped DVD 9 discs!!!

My old Panasonic player toggled thru the stereo/5.1 outputs as the dvd played so you could visibly see it change as you went thru the menus etc and then to the main movie it would switch to 5.1 and the videologic decoder had no problems. I got my Sony recorder from Currys and here in Yeovil they have little options. I am going to try and contact Sony or a Sony dealer but it is Sunday so best of luck....although its Christmas and most places open on a Sunday. Failing that it might be back to the shop for a different make.

Good luck with your new recorder!

Lee