1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

5.1 output from DVD player ?

Discussion in 'Blu-ray & DVD Players & Recorders' started by jimbowley, Nov 4, 2004.

1. jimbowley

jimbowley
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    A couple of budget players i've looked at (camdridge 540D, yamaha dvds540) say dolby digital, but I can't find a piccy of the back panel. How do they output the 5.1 (6 phonos I would assume).

As a cost saver I'm thinking of feeding this output into my old pro-logic amplifier. (but the plan probably breaks down when i want a 2nd audio input)

2. AML

AML

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +229
    If its digital 5.1 (as most DVD players are) the conection will be through either optical or coaxial. Cheaper DVD players will only have optical to save money.

6 analog ouputs will cost money and you can usualy only find those on high end dvd players that have DVD-Audio and Super Audio CD capabilites. (they need analog outputs to work.)

DVD-Videos dont work with 6 analog conections as far as I know.

3. Dean

Dean

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +179
    Some DVD players have the 6 phono output at the back when the DVD player has an onboard DD/DTS decoder. This is actually another way of transferring 5.1 sound, but most modern DVD players/av amplifiers only need an optical or coaxial digital output which is much neater through one cable. The main reason for the 6 phono 5.1 output is so you can connect it to a pro-logic amplifier with a similar set of 6 phono inputs and therefore make it DD/DTS capable by using the DVD players onboard 5.1 processing.

4. jimbowley

jimbowley
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    AML - Ah. I think I was thinking they did something special. AV amp is back on the list then. As freeview carries radio, I don't need a receiver but most are.

Can someone confirm that yam rxv550 upconverts svid to yuv (spec says svid to composite).

5. Mr Cheese

Mr Cheese

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +19
    If you are feeding a pro-logic amp without 6 phono inputs you only need to use the stereo outputs from the DVD player, as the rear and centre channels are derived from a stereo signal. The 5.1 signal is exclusively output through the coax/optical output as a data stream or, as had been said above, through six dedicated phono outputs from higher end players.

6. lee789

lee789

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    You can get cheaper dvd players with 5.1 / dts decoders and 6 audio outs to connect to an older amp.

I recently bought a Pioneer 565 as it has the outputs and I wasn't ready to splash out on a new digital amp.

Not sure you can pick these up new now but there are quite a lot second hand for around 75 in the classifieds, on here.

There is a newer 575 which , I think is around 125 from richer sounds but I'm sure they've been doing them for 100 on occaision.

Plus you then get sacd and dvd-a and a better player than a budget one (for not too much money more) - these were my thoughts anyway

7. jimbowley

jimbowley
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Lee - OK, so some do have 6 phonos. I just need to get a look at the back of them, or get a 575.

DVD and Freeview are my only planned sources at the moment, if I feed the dvd into the power amp stage inputs I wonder if Direct mode will feed the freeview input straight to the L and R power amps? I can test that now. >> Result = no. Direct mode still puts the signal out of the pre-amp output.

8. Ohboy

Ohboy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi,
    I f you get a DVD universal player with the 6 phono outputs, and your receiver has 6 discrete inputs, then this will by-pass the audio processing dacs in your old amp.
    The audio dacs in the DVD player would be much better the the ones in the old amp.

cheers :thumbsup:

9. eggybread

eggybread
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Ohboy, is that definately going to be so?
    I've got a pioneer 868avi using digital optical audio into my yamaha dsp5 amp (about 3 years old now i think).
    So will the 5.1 output of 868 definately be better than the yamahas stuff. I'm guessing you'll say 'yes, cos the 868 DACS is going to be superior'.

10. Ohboy

Ohboy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi Eggybread,
    It will depend on your set up, speakers/cables/media etc. but it's certainly worth a try. all it will cost you is a little bit of time, but the effort will be worth while in most cases. that is if you like listening to music.

cheers :thumbsup:

11. bobbypunk

bobbypunk

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    One thing to keep in mind and check is that some (You're safe with the 575) 6ch outs don't send out DTS.
    Also the quality of the processor in DVD does improve quite alot as you go up in quality and would, with the exception of Arcam's DV79, output stereo soundtracks with no option of processing (The Arcam DV79 processes Prologic2 so allowing CDs and DVD's in stereo to play in Prologic2 through 6 ch outs).

12. Kahless725

Kahless725

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0