5.1 or soundbar recommendation for 16" x 12.5" room

Streggi

Established Member
Reaction score
I bought a set of SVS speakers back in 2008 via this site (SVS 25-31 PCi, SCS-01 front and center, and SBS-01 rears I think) which have served me well, so it's been a while since I've done any speaker research. Problem is they are a bit big for the new house I'm moving to hopefully, that has a smaller 2nd reception 12'5" x 16"1".

I bought a Yamaha YAS207 soundbar last year which the kids use and the sound's a bit pants at times. Is there a good compact 5.1" system anyone can recommend, or a soundbar system that's actually good? I'll still use the SVS setup I think in the family room which has a bit more space to (to put the speakers on stands.

I'd like to avoid buying another receiver if possible, but still have support for DTS-HD etc as I'll be watching HD/4K content on Blu-rays or remuxes, so a soundbar or similar might be a good idea - just not something as bad as the YAS207.

Thanks in advance for any tips.

If you physically have space to install your current SBS speakers, I suggest doing so. At a sensitivity of 85-87dB and 5 1/2" drivers, they should not be too big for the room sonically. A 200 sq ft room is not large, but it is not small either.

If you have to go with a soundbar and it is within your budget, you might want to consider something like the Samsung Harmon Kardon HW Q90R soundbar. It provides 7.1.4 surround sound using a soundbar, two satellite speakers and a compact subwoofer. It supports Dolby Atmos and DTS:X. It has 4K passthrough with HDR10, so it should support the latest Blue Ray discs. However, at $1600, it costs as much as a high quality AV receiver. They also have a 5.1.2 system that is priced at $1000; it just skips the satellite speakers with the associated circuitry. Remember, though that a soundbar has to compensate for reduced spacing between the speakers by using DSP to simulate a wider soundstage.

Do yourself a favour, and do not do a sound bar.

If you physically have space to install your current SBS speakers, I suggest doing so. At a sensitivity of 85-87dB and 5 1/2" drivers, they should not be too big for the room sonically. A 200 sq ft room is not large, but it is not small either.
I am going to try this. My SBS speakers have served me well over 12 years now, was just wondering if tech has moved on and smaller speakers could do the job as well

Do yourself a favour, and do not do a sound bar.

I know - really disappointed with the Yamaha YAS207 as it had good reviews. If I hadn't bought it on ebay (reconditioned/customer return) I would have got my money back

Try your current speakers. A good sounding speaker will always reward you. If you do need to change there are plenty of good small speaker set ups that will trounce any soundbar.

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom