1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

5.1 or 6.1?

Discussion in 'Home Cinema Speakers' started by realslimcookie, Feb 9, 2005.

1. realslimcookie

realslimcookie

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    Firstly, sorry if this is the wrong place for such a question, but basically is it worth me buying an extra speaker to update to 6.1 from 5.1 as i have recently upgraded to 6.1 amplifier? It would be another Kef 1005 series satallite speaker (approx £70). Would it be worth me spending that money bearing in mind i would probably also have to buy a stand for it (£30).

Any advice would be greatfully received.

Regards,

Realslimcookie.

2. the mechanic

the mechanic

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +52
    Although not really scientific, if you have an old speaker laying about (or see if you can borrow one if you dont) try a temporary rig up to see if you can hear any difference.
    You will of course need to play a suitably encoded dvd with 6.1 sound (austin powers goldmember springs to mind as being a good DTS 6.1 discrete tester).
    If you hear an appreciable difference then I say go for it and order the spare egg.

RGDS,

Graham.

3. Dfour

Dfour

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +85
    IMHO it would be better getting a second hand centre like the old Kef reference 80/90/100 or a Q5c/Q6c and relegating the egg centre to centre rear duties as the centres on the egg series are the weak point in the sound. Not such an asthetically pleaseing solution but a much better sounding version :D
    EG.
    http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=3275&item=5749957092&rd=1
    http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=3280&item=5750968201&rd=1
    http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=14996&item=5750003061&rd=1

4. 30CenturyMan

30CenturyMan

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +47
    5.1 or 7.1 :)

5. the mechanic

the mechanic

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +52
    Technically speaking there is no such thing as 7.1, it is just 6.1 but instead of one surround back you use two. The signal to both S/B channels are the same (ie MONO), it just allows a better spread of sound to the rear.
    There are also no DVD's available that have a 7.1 encoded soundtrack. Maybe in the future there will be, but for now 6.1 (with or without the extra speaker) is the best you can hope for.

TTFN

Graham

6. 30CenturyMan

30CenturyMan

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +47
    That's not to say that 7.1 cannot and should not be implemented, quite the contrary in fact. That is why we have the likes of Dolby Pro Logic IIx, Logic 7, and Meridian EZ, all of which either require or recommend 7 speakers to fully exploit the technologies. :)