1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

5:1 or 6:1

Discussion in 'Home Cinema Speakers' started by stoke1975, Aug 6, 2004.

1. stoke1975

stoke1975

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +12
    I used to use a Definitive Technology CLR2300 as my centre. It was originally a match for my Linn Isobariks which doubled as A/V fronts. I have just sold the Isobariks and now have matching JM labs as the front three, therefore no longer required. Rears are M&K 55 Tripoles.

My plan was to sell the 2300 but this may prove difficult, as great speaker it is, there are not many about in the UK for it to match.

If selling proves impossible could it be usefully utilised as an additional rear?

Is it placed centrally between the two rears?

What is the actual improvement in sound if all the sources are 5:1 not 6:1.

My amp is Pioneer AX5.

Thanks
    Neil

2. Dfour

Dfour

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +85
    Not all sources are 5.1 DTS ES and DD EX and DPL2x are true 6.1. I would put the 2300 as a centre rear between the 2 rears opposite the front centre the AX5i will also matrix the 5.1 to 6.1 for you. See if you like the sound and if you dont flog it off :D

3. Craig Sowerby

Craig Sowerby

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +25
    Hi,

I would recommend selling the Def Tech (great speaker), Look for a LCR55 from M&K, this will give you more accurate surround envelopment than using the Def Tech, also remember that it is a surround effects driven channel and not a dialogue driven channel, you will get a more accurate effect from a LCR or dedicated surround speaker than you will from a speaker that has been designed specifically as a centre channel.
    Yes the M&k is a LCR and we use them as centres but if you use it as a surround back channel you should use it in its vertical position.

If you want to go down this route try Gecko as they might still have the odd one or a B stock model.

Good luck

4. stoke1975

stoke1975

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +12
    Thanks for the response.

Watch out for this speaker on Ebay.

Neil