1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

5.1 or 6.1

Discussion in 'Home Cinema Speakers' started by gargoyle, Jun 14, 2004.

1. gargoyle

gargoyle

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +21
    At present, I am debating whether to ditch my current receiver (sherwood 925 rds) for something newer as I bought it only 4-5 years ago, the reason? its 5.1 and as much as I like it, I'm really curious as to how 6.1 sounds, is it really essential? does it play a crucial role or is it more ambience noise?
    I ask this because I LOVE my sherwood which is a superb performer and coupled with good quality interconnects and components has impressed quite a few home cinema friends with its quality over the years.
    Last night I was demoing some laserdiscs and played the sequence from ID4 when the captain shoots a tin can off the alien craft - this sequence always impresses and really shows the best of 5.1 but would 6.1 make enough of a difference to warrant an upgrade?
    Given how cheap 6.1's can be picked up from these days, I could pick one up with no problem but I just think it's a crushing shame to upgrade when my current amp is knocking me (& everyone else) for six.

2. Barend

Barend

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +9
    Depends on your room. Mine's not deep but rather wide, so I sit a bit close to the back wall, and noticed a gap between SL and SR when plating Dolby-Digital 5.1. So I hooked up my 7.1 receiver as 7.1 and placed 2 KEF eggs behind me (pointing 30 degrees away from each other) and that gave a good improvement - automatically upscaling to Dolby Digital- EX.
    Incidentally, just one back speaker is almost as good, since most decoding modes output the same signal thru the back surrounds.
    Does your receiver and/or DVD player decode 6.1 or 7.1 ?
    Then maybe you can add an extra amp, doesn't have to be expensive.
    Barend

3. gargoyle

gargoyle

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +21
    My current setup is conventional 5.1, stereo left/right, rear left/right, front centre and subwoofer.
    My viewing sofa's are smack against the rear walls with the speakers about 20-25 feet apart, 2 feet above ear height and parallel with the sofa.
    If a rear central speaker were introduced, it would have to be about 4-5 feet above the listeners pointing directly down, for it to have any impact.

4. jeff-o

jeff-o

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    How many DVDs do you own that have a true 6.1 audio track (Or DD-EX) on them? Chances are, you won't have many (I have one), which means that the receiver will end up faking the rear channel anyway.

Still, if your room is set up properly for it and you have a convenient place to place a sixth speaker, then you could consider it....

5. Philly112

Philly112

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,491
    I just use 5.1, but have heard 6.1 that sounds great. Just don't expect the same sort of impact as going from, say prologic to 5.1. A correctly set up system will not draw attention to the rears anyway, but given the space between your rear speakers I'd give it a try - it's only money and a possible divorce!

6. Barend

Barend

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +9
    Second that, since my 3805 has separate surround speaker sockets for cinema and music I was hoping to apply my idle KEF dipoles, but unfortunately my wife declined most vehemently! She thinks 7 boxes plus a sub must be enough in our 3x4m room...When will they learn that without our hobby we get into much more serious mischief!
    Barend

7. gargoyle

gargoyle

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +21
    My dvd collection is pretty small as I primarily watch laserdiscs but I have around 8-15 6.1 titles - I'll have to count them out when I get the chance.
    The main thrust of my question is this - those of you who have made the transition from 5.1 to 6.1 - would you say that the extra speaker introduces a new element or depth to the surround elements or is the effect just more 'noise' from an extra speaker?