1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

5.1 or 6.1 Speaker advice

Discussion in 'Home Cinema Speakers' started by DirkGently, Apr 30, 2003.

1. DirkGently

DirkGently
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi,
    I was directed over here from the DVDForums. I have finally decided to get rid of my old Panasonic SCHT-80 and move down the seperates route. I have already ordered a Pioneer DVD656a player (£300), I am 85-90% certain I will order the Pioneer 811 AV Amp (about £300-£330). I am currently looking at the Mission Cinema M70 Speaker Package (£350-£400) for the speakers and would appreciate any advice on whether this is a good selection and everything will work together ok. The prices I have quoted are pretty much my maximum spend. The system will be used for 95% Movie use and occasional/casual music listening. Also if I wanted to make use 6.1 would it be better to purchase another centre speaker for the rear centre or to match it with the other satellites.

2. MarkE19

MarkE19

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,380
    I use a centre speaker for the surround rear. This was as used in the store where I demo'd my speakers. It seams to work well for me, but then again I have not heard my setup but with a matched speaker in place of the centre, but my centre speaker is also listed by B&W as a main speaker. The obvious advantage of useing a centre is that it is easier to buy just a single unit.
    The best way to see if the gear you have listed will be ok is to demo it. What you loke might be hated by another, and vise versa.

Mark.

3. JimB

JimB
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I recently bought 3 pairs of Mission M71i's, so I have identical speakers all round. Cost me approx. £275.

I'm using 5 at the moment, but will use all 6 when I upgrade my amp.

The center speaker is placed on it's side, making it no bigger than many dedicated center speakers.

You could also use M70's for the rears, as they're a bit smaller than the M71i and suitable for mounting close to a wall.

4. Sunday Ironfoot

Sunday Ironfoot

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Have you considered the Marantz SR4300 AV Amp? Much of the press seems to rave about this amp, especially What HIFI who recommended it in several HC review setups in their Ultimate HIFI Guide edition magazine. It does 6.1 so you can upgrade by adding a rear centre later, and has 6.1 analogue inputs for DVD-Audio/SACD multichannel music. It's also in the same price category as the Pioneer.

As for the Mission M70 package, I've owned the M71i's and these are cracking speakers for their price with good soundstaging, light but punchy bass and very good trebble. Your package may come with the M72's which are basically the same but bigger for better bass output. One other thing make sure you get the M70i package and not the M70 'non-i' version. The 'i' versions are apparantly much better, they should be the i versions at the price you've quoted.

5. Sunday Ironfoot

Sunday Ironfoot

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Actually if you're referring to the Pioneer VSX-D811S What HIFI seem to rate this very highly as well, although that may be why you singled it out :smashin:

Good luck!

6. DirkGently

DirkGently
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks for all the info. Yes it is the 'Pioneer VSX-D811S'. It was between that, the 'Yamaha DSPAX630ES' and the 'Marantz SR5300', the Marantz was discarded mainly because of the delay problems I read about on these forums (and the fact that it's gold or black and the rest of my kit is silver). Thanks Sunday Ironfoot for pointing out that there is a normal and an 'i' version of the M70, I will make sure I get right ones now. Leading Edge Concepts have the package for £370 and list it as 4xM70i 1xM7C1i 1xMS8 (Empire Direct list it for £340+£10 P&P but dont specify the 'i'). Is the MS8 sub any good, or would I be better off buying a cheaper speaker package and a separate sub?

7. Ex-Ronny

Ex-Ronny
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    DirkGently: I would _seriously_ consider the M7C2 (i) instead of the M7C1i. I don't think it's that much more expencive, but the sound can't be compared. My setup had the M7C1 first, but I replaced it as soon as the M7C2 became available.

8. DirkGently

DirkGently
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks for the advice Ex-Ronny, although this opens up a whole new can of worms, ie buying seperate speakers, rather than a package (I suppose I was looking for an easy option). I have been thinking about the speakers and my room layout and size, and I think they will have to wall mounted, except for maybe the fronts, another thought that crossed my mind is that my room is rectangular about 12ft wide and about 24ft long, my seating position for watching movies is almost exactly in the centre of the room, so the back wall is about 10-12ft behind me, so should I place the rear speakers on the back wall, or on the side walls either side of me, and if I place them on the side walls, then what about the rear centre (back wall, or stand mount closer to my seating position)?
    I hope this all makes sense, I'm very tired, just got off a 12hr shift and about to hit the sack.

9. Ex-Ronny

Ex-Ronny
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Seems like you have the same issues about room/placement that I have. I'm really not an expert, but I ended up placing the rears on the side walls about 3-4" behind the seating position, and almost facing each other. Works well for me.

About the rear centre.... Well *please* let me know if you find an acceptable solution... hehe. :blush:

10. Ross007

Ross007

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +31
    You could always ask for retailer to split the a pack of M7DS for the extra rear thats what I did, Hifi Junkies were more then happy to do this.