5.1 on TV programmes

Pokey800

Established Member
Reaction score
Apologies if this should have been posted in a different forum. There is a similar thread here BBC HD is it in 5.1

but watching Luther tonight, I'm again disappointed that dramas such as this aren't broadcast in 5.1 surround.

I'm assuming the discs releases are in 5.1 and also assume this is done for the disc release, but why can't the BBC do this before hand and broadcast in 5.1?

One thing I love about Sky and Netflix is that the US shows are broadcast / streamed in 5.1

When UK programmes such as Luther are shown in the US are they not shown in 5.1?

I know people will point out that 5.1 users are in the minority - but if this is the case why release discs with 5.1 tracks?

Apologies for the rant. It's such a frustration with UK TV.

The BBC's policy in respect to 5.1 sound is very strange indeed. The only mainstream drama series to use 5.1 appears to be Dr Who. Some of their afternoon shows use it but not big stuff like Sherlock. Very odd. A lot of films are broadcast in 5.1 as is Jools Holland. After that it's some sports events including the footie results! Mad.

Bri

Join the club, it drives me mad as well. Take a programme like Jonathan Strange and Mr Norrell which was crying out for 5.1 sound but it seems the BBC just can't be bothered.

Of course it goes without saying that ITV are even worse !

Join the club, it drives me mad as well. Take a programme like Jonathan Strange and Mr Norrell which was crying out for 5.1 sound but it seems the BBC just can't be bothered.

Of course it goes without saying that ITV are even worse !

That one didn't have 5.1 on the Blu either. As you say it's a show that was crying out for it. It's have added a huge amount of atmosphere.

Bri

That one didn't have 5.1 on the Blu either. As you say it's a show that was crying out for it. It's have added a huge amount of atmosphere.

Bri

I didn't know the Blu didn't even have 5.1. That's utter madness !

They screw up BD releases too where the broadcast version has DD5.1 yet the BD release is limited to just DD2.0

This also really winds me up, I have Luther on the sky box, knowing it's not 5.1 is really dissapointing :(

I do have quite a few stereo BDs for modern TV shows but I'm not sure if any of them were broadcast in 5.1. Can you give any examples?

Bri

The one I complained to them about was 'Wonders of the Universe' as my BBC HD recordings all had DD5.1 but when I purchased the BD it has DD2.0 so not even lossless unlike Wonders of the Solar System which was DTS-HD MA.

I queried this and they said they were only provided with stereo elements so guess not their fault as they just used what they were given however a few years later they re-released Wonders of the Solar System and Universe as a Special Edition double pack and this time it had DTS-HD MA 5.1 but this is the only way to get the superior audio version, the individual release is still DD2.0

I wonder if the Broadchurch releases are like that. I bought the first series "special" edition which is in stereo. If I remember correctly the 2 series set says it's in 5.1.

Bri

Last edited:
Another annoyence of mine is the lack of lossless audio on certain UK releases (ie Sherlock) yet releases in other parts of Europe include an English DTS-HD MA track.

Another annoyence of mine is the lack of lossless audio on certain UK releases (ie Sherlock) yet releases in other parts of Europe include an English DTS-HD MA track.
That's just weird, the logistics of these things baffles me, is it just laziness?

Did the blurays of previous seasons of Luther have 5.1?

I looked at the boxed set quite recently in HMV and I'm pretty certain they weren't.

Bri

Hmm. I'm sure they are as a friend had a rip on his Plex server with DTS at 1500kbps.

864647d1436800069-luther-series-1-2-3-pre.jpg
rbr_lutherstaffel1.jpg
Y
Hmm. I'm sure they are as a friend had a rip on his Plex server with DTS at 1500kbps.

You may well be right. The German release is certainly 5.1.

Bri

Watched an episode of Father Brown from 2013 on BBC1 this afternoon and guess what ? It had a 5.1 soundtrack. So why does the BBC seem to have abandoned it almost completely since then on any home produced drama ? So bloody annoying.

Watched an episode of Father Brown from 2013 on BBC1 this afternoon and guess what ? It had a 5.1 soundtrack. So why does the BBC seem to have abandoned it almost completely since then on any home produced drama ? So bloody annoying.

As I mentioned in my first post here a lot of their afternoon dramas are in 5.1. All of FB was and I think the BD had something like a DTS MA soundtrack rather than DD. Crazy.

Bri

The new series of Father Brown starts next week. It'll be interesting to see if it's still in 5.1. BBC cutbacks may make them do it in stereo.

Bri

Wait till the BBC launch its own 4K shows,then downscales it for BW licence payers.

Makes you wonder though if they can do it for Sherlock why they seem unable to do it for much else.

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom