5.1 on a budget - 2nd hand options

Sugger

Novice Member
Hi,

I am considering my options for a newbie set of 5.1 speakers. I know the Wharfedale DX2s can be picked up for £200 2nd hand so wanted to see what other options I should consider?

I have to pick up a Sony STR-DN1080 receiver for £200 and set myself a total budget of £500.

I also have a pair of Eltax Monitor 3 speakers gathering dust, if these are worth considering?

Zombie Twin

If your Eltax's are in good nick, then they might well do the job. The 1080 outputs at 6 ohms, and as long as you don't crank it up to ridiculous levels, then you're set.

If you are OK with bidding on eBay, then you might want to take a look at this: M&K package.

Or this, going outright or to offers: Teufel THX

Sugger

Novice Member
If your Eltax's are in good nick, then they might well do the job. The 1080 outputs at 6 ohms, and as long as you don't crank it up to ridiculous levels, then you're set.

If you are OK with bidding on eBay, then you might want to take a look at this: M&K package.

Or this, going outright or to offers: Teufel THX
Thank you for this advice. I'm based in Birmingham so sadly the south coast is a tad too far for me.

If I stuck with the Eltax monitors I know there is a matching centre speaker but should I use my existing pair as the front L&R? What would make suitable choices for the other pair '+ sub.

This will all go in an open plan lounge/diner 10.3m by 3.7m.

Zombie Twin

If I stuck with the Eltax monitors I know there is a matching centre speaker but should I use my existing pair as the front L&R? What would make suitable choices for the other pair '+ sub.
For my Sony 1080, I am using a Q Acoustics 3090c, which is a wonderful centre speaker (£99 at Amazon)

If you are looking for uniformity of sound for the rears (and economy), then you might want to look at these...

Eltax III eBay

Or at a cheaper price...

Eltax Rear Speakers eBay

As for the sub, it was only a year ago that I picked up old Eltax sub from Facebook Marketplace, for the sum of £35. It's not exactly subtle, but it does pick up the bass slack. Again, if you want matching and uniformity, then you could get in quick and pick up this...

Eltax Atomic Sub eBay

Last edited:

password1

Distinguished Member
The Eltax are more than adequate for surrounds.

If you're on a budget I have a 3.1 set in the classifieds that will be better than the dx2. I'm not far from you too but to keep to forum rules any comms if interested in a demo needs to be on the for sale thread.

Those Eltax Atomic subs are truly awful. I had one mnay years ago, £99 brand new from RS, one note wonder. The small atomic subs don't play deep and the large atomic subs are wooly and horrible.

The latest video from AVForums

Sony Bravia XR A80J OLED TV Review
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom