5.1 not working through TV

v CJ v

I have a cheap and cheerful LG home cinema kit which when watching DVDs on the 5.1 works a treat.

However, when I use the Xbox 360 or BluRay player, the 5.1 doesn't work, if anything all the sound is the same. I've tested the same film on the home cinema kit, and the BluRay player, and the sound is completly different.

Now, this is how it's set up.

Xbox, BluRay, LG Home cinema DVD goes to TV via required leads.
Red/White AV cables go from audio OUT on the TV to audio IN on the LG Home cinema DVD player.

Am I loosing sound, or even the 5.1 audio with this set up?

88pete88

Novice Member
Xbox, BluRay, LG Home cinema DVD goes to TV via required leads.
Red/White AV cables go from audio OUT on the TV to audio IN on the LG Home cinema DVD player.

Am I loosing sound, or even the 5.1 audio with this set up?
there is your problem. they will only do stereo 2 channel, you need either optical or coaxial for 5.1. the reason the dvd does 5.1 is because its built into the surround sound system

v CJ v

there is your problem. they will only do stereo 2 channel, you need either optical or coaxial for 5.1. the reason the dvd does 5.1 is because its built into the surround sound system
Ok, so if my LG home cinema kit has optical IN (as my TV does have optical out) all I'd need to do is swap the AV cables (red/white) for the optical and this would solve it?

If my LG home cinema kit doesn't have it, I may just get another dvd player.

dwhite

No you can't use the optical out from the tv either as that will be stereo only. You need to connect between your xbox and the amp with optical, not thru the TV. Same for your bluray player.

Andy98765

Distinguished Member
Ok, so if my LG home cinema kit has optical IN (as my TV does have optical out) all I'd need to do is swap the AV cables (red/white) for the optical and this would solve it?

If my LG home cinema kit doesn't have it, I may just get another dvd player.
NO, as the optical from your Tv is stereo and will not pass through 5.1 information from other sources. The other sources MUST connect directly to the AV system to achieve 5.1. In your case you require 2 optical inputs on your LG system to accomodate 5.1. For Blu-Ray and HD Audio 5.1 you need a AV system with HDMI in and the ability to handle HD Audio.

The latest video from AVForums

Panasonic HZ2000 OLED TV Review: The best OLED for movie viewing in 2020
Top Bottom