5.1 Home cinema or 5.1 PC audio?

kennyjie

Standard Member
Im looking to get a decent audio system for my room. My room is a small box room, about 280 x 260cm2. Im not any good with sound systems, so im not sure what too look for in a decent sound system. I have a 37in tv, ps3 and a pc that i want to hook up for games and movies.

My budget is limited to a couple of hundred max, and i have had a look at some sound systems, namely pc speakers such as a 5.1 logitec system for £60 and a creative sound system for about £60 - £70, but i have read reviews that these are not very good. I am also interested in the virtual 5.1 bose, but those are extremely expensive and not sure if they would work if im sitting about 200cm away from the speakers.

I have seen home cinema systems in the shops and can cost up to a few grand, but i have seen some for a few hundred or less in sales. Currys and Comet always have some for sale. Also i would like to know if the wireless ones are worth it? The no wires seems to be quite appealing.

So can someone recommend to me a sound system within my budget and tell me what would be a better sound system to choose, pc or home cinema? thanks ken

Downinja

Personally I would go down the receiver and speakers route.

But if you do have to go down the PC route, look more at the Logitech Z5500 range (or similar).

confused88

Novice Member
You don't need to spend 2K. You can buy a decent amplifier and a 5.1 for about 500£ or a bit less. Places to look are Richer Sounds, Superfi and other dedicated hi-fi stores. Even Amazon has a few options but not so much Currys, Comet, etc. Bose products look nice but are overpriced. Wireless is not worth it in my opinion as it is not really wireless and costs more. You would still need to connect the back speakers to a wireless base. Virtual surround systems do not work that well either, are also expensive and most likely won't decode all the HD audio formats. For 200£ you could still get a cheap AV receiver for less than 150£ and maybe just 2 speakers for now with an option to add more later( Richer Sounds). For a PC 5.1 a stop-gap solution would be this: Logitech X-540 Multimedia Speaker System: Amazon.co.uk: Electronics & Photo.

You may get more replies if you move this thread, or start a new one here AV Amplifiers and Receivers - AVForums.com

kennyjie

Standard Member
i was thinking the logitec x-540, but can a 5.1 surround sound for £70 be any good? Can this be comparable to a home cinema system? Woah, i looked at the av receivers on amazon, they are quite costly, £300+ without speakers, i think that might be ott for a tiny room. is this any good Samsung-HT-TZ225?

Downinja

You could pick up a second hand denon (something simple 15 or 17 series), a reasonable set of speaker, on the second hand market for £200 that would blow pretty much anything in the "PC Speaker" bracket out of the water. Not just volume wise but feature and quality wise too.

confused88

Novice Member
i was thinking the logitec x-540, but can a 5.1 surround sound for £70 be any good? Can this be comparable to a home cinema system? Woah, i looked at the av receivers on amazon, they are quite costly, £300+ without speakers, i think that might be ott for a tiny room. is this any good Samsung-HT-TZ225?
The x-540 cannot compare with a proper set-up of course but it's only 70-80£ and may not be such a bad solution for a small room, at least until you have the funds for something better. The Sasmung should be louder of course but I don't think it would be that great either. I have seen some of those at JL and the speakers are very light and feel cheap.

confused88

Novice Member
The x-540 cannot compare with a proper set-up of course but it's only 70-80£ and may not be such a bad solution for a small room, at least until you have the funds for something better. The Sasmung should be louder of course but I don't think it would be that great either. I have seen some of those at JL and the speakers are very light and feel cheap.
...but whether you do get surround sound from the x540 may depend on your PC sound card.

kennyjie

Standard Member
alright, im gona take confused88's advice and get a set of cheaper speakers then save up for a larger sound system. I have looked at some 5.1s
Logitech X-540 (Amazon)
Creative Inspire T6160 (Dabs)
Hercules XPS 5.1 (Dabs)

They're all 5.1s about 70w and about the same price. Will these speakers be the same, sound quality wise? If they are then i can just choose based on looks right?

confused88

Novice Member
Both Creative and Logitech make good quality PC speakers. Creative are the makers of the popular T20, T40 and T3 systems. I am less familiar with Hercules. The x-540 has a matrix mode that generates 5.1 from stereo that might be useful if you don't get 5.1 directly from dvds.
In addition, if you are unhappy with it Amazon will refund you as long you return it withing a month. Just make sure that your keep the boxes.
I guess there wouldn't be much of a difference in SQ though and Creative got the looks.

The latest video from AVForums

Podcast: Reported HDMI 2.1 bugs, Audiolab Amp & LG LED Projector reviews + Best of the Month
Top Bottom