Leebrown2222

Novice Member
Reaction score
Hi guys, I'm really after some help here as I am losing the will to live. I've recently picked up the Sony HT RT4 surround system and I'm having a nightmare! I have set everything up And I'm running everything into my TV and then to my receiver via HDMI ARC. Everything seems to be working spot on... Until I play a Blu ray with DTS audio! It plays everything formatted in DTS to 2.0 (all by surround speakers play full audio). Anything with Dolby works fine and how it should as long as it's 5.1 or above??? I've checked and the receiver does support both DTS and DD. Could it be the blu ray player? That doesn't support DTS? Surely not? How can a player not support DTS? I've tried looking online for hours and I can't find anything.
Anyy help is appreciated 🙂

Hi guys, I'm really after some help here as I am losing the will to live. I've recently picked up the Sony HT RT4 surround system and I'm having a nightmare! I have set everything up And I'm running everything into my TV and then to my receiver via HDMI ARC. Everything seems to be working spot on... Until I play a Blu ray with DTS audio! It plays everything formatted in DTS to 2.0 (all by surround speakers play full audio). Anything with Dolby works fine and how it should as long as it's 5.1 or above??? I've checked and the receiver does support both DTS and DD. Could it be the blu ray player? That doesn't support DTS? Surely not? How can a player not support DTS? I've tried looking online for hours and I can't find anything.
Anyy help is appreciated 🙂
If you are using ARC, then I strongly suspect that your TV is responsible, and can not pass through DTS.

Check the BR player settings - make sure it's set to "bitstream" the audio output. Give us the BR player make/model and we can advise further on settings.....

Thanks for your reply John. The blu ray player is an LG bp250.

I have just read online that LG 2020 OLEDS do not support DTS so I'm presuming this is why I am having an issue.

I'm I right in thinking I cannot get 5.1 DTS now through my TV/ receiver as my TV doesn't support it?

If your TV doesn't support it, then no, not from the HDMI ARC connection. Your sound bar doesn't have any other HDMI inputs. It does however have an Optical input so, you could connect via this direct to your BR player and get the DTS audio that way.......

I'm just going to read the manuals before offering any further info - in the words of Arnie, "I'll be back"

What's the model of your TV?

Just noticed also that your BR player has no digital outputs, other than the single HDMI.......

What's the model of your TV?

Just noticed also that your BR player has no digital outputs, other than the single HDMI.......

Appreciate all this help John,

Yes as I learn a little more I'm beginning to realise I may have snookered my self here as I have so use ARC with the receiver / player I have.
My tv is the Lg Oled48Cx5Lc

As I feared, I'm afraid that DTS via the LG isn't going to be possible. Does the Sony have an HDMI input?

I am looking at upgrading the blu ray player soon for a 4k would this help. If I somehow connect it directly to the Sony rather than the TV?

As I feared, I'm afraid that DTS via the LG isn't going to be possible. Does the Sony have an HDMI input?

No pal. I'm snookered.

Looking like the only way is to get a new sound set up (a real one haha) and run everything direct to that, rather than from the TV.

Attachments

• PXL_20210410_114125781.jpg
    PXL_20210410_114125781.jpg
    356.5 KB · Views: 112
I am looking at upgrading the blu ray player soon for a 4k would this help. If I somehow connect it directly to the Sony rather than the TV?
Yes, if the player has an optical output, then you could connect it that way to the Sony and get (lossy) 5.1 DTS.

Yes, if the player has an optical output, then you could connect it that way to the Sony and get (lossy) 5.1 DTS.

No pal. I'm snookered.

Looking like the only way is to get a new sound set up (a real one haha) and run everything direct to that, rather than from the TV.
That would be the other alternative to a new BD player. A "proper" AVR with multiple HDMI inputs would allow you to run everything into the AVR, and then just have one HDMI output lead to the TV for video.

But obviously more expenditure.

You need to check the TV user manual (it's a nightmare to trawl through the online manual).

From what I can see, your TV does support higher quality audio - you need to check the sound settings in the TV and make sure the BR player is NOT set to downmix to stereo....

I'm curious why you would not consider a more capable AV system and 4K BR player when buying a 4K OLED TV? You're missing out bigtime on great audio to match the picture quality!

You need to check the TV user manual (it's a nightmare to trawl through the online manual).

From what I can see, your TV does support higher quality audio - you need to check the sound settings in the TV and make sure the BR player is NOT set to downmix to stereo....

I'm curious why you would not consider a more capable AV system and 4K BR player when buying a 4K OLED TV? You're missing out bigtime on great audio to match the picture quality!

To be honest pal I'm not to savvy when it comes to it all. I naively just thought everything would work together. I am on the look out now for a 4k player as I want the most out my TV and am going to start picking up 4k blu rays rather than my normal blu rays. Looking at the back of the 4k players I'm still going to be stuck, as I would have to do arc and optical as the same time and I don't think that's possible is it?

To be honest pal I'm not to savvy when it comes to it all. I naively just thought everything would work together. I am on the look out now for a 4k player as I want the most out my TV and am going to start picking up 4k blu rays rather than my normal blu rays. Looking at the back of the 4k players I'm still going to be stuck, as I would have to do arc and optical as the same time and I don't think that's possible is it?
BD players don't do ARC, that is between the TV and the amp.

I'm not clear what you mean by "higher quality audio"? The LG CX does not support DTS. OP has also stated that he can achieve DD 5.1 from his BD player, so it must be set to Bitstream.

Yes, I missed that LG does not support DTS - weird though, on a modern TV?

OP, you need a sound system that has the necessary HDMI inputs to process the audio before the signal is passed to the TV.

A BR player with an optical out for the audio could be connected to the optical input of your current sound bar.

However Hi-Res audio, such as HD Master, Atmos, DTS-HD etc, can ONLY be conveyed by HDMI - optical doesn't have the bandwidth.

OP, you need a sound system that has the necessary HDMI inputs to process the audio before the signal is passed to the TV.

A BR player with an optical out for the audio could be connected to the optical input of your current sound bar.

However Hi-Res audio, such as HD Master, Atmos, DTS-HD etc, can ONLY be conveyed by HDMI - optical doesn't have the bandwidth.
Isn’t it strange that in the audio world, optical doesn’t have the bandwidth, but optical is used the world over for very high bandwidth network connectivity.

Isn’t it strange that in the audio world, optical doesn’t have the bandwidth, but optical is used the world over for very high bandwidth network connectivity.
I guess that it's to do with the overall S/PDIF specs which are relative old. As you say, in theory a fibre cable should be able to handle massive bandwidth.

Apparently LG's rationale was that as Netflix, Prime, Disney + etc all use Dolby, then DTS wasn't required.

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom