1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

5.1 headphones

Discussion in 'Headphones, Earphones & Portable Music' started by mulder, Jul 24, 2005.

1. mulder

mulder
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Can anyone recommend some 5.1 headphones to be used with my yamaha amplifier. My maximum budget is approx £70.

Thanks

2. andresp

andresp

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi Mulder, I think I'm in the same boat, I have been trying really hard to find some affordable 5.1 headphones but to be honest with you, I think we're ahead of time because at this stage in time I have only been able to find two pairs of real Dolby 5.1 and that's only by Pioneer, the models are the SE-DIR800C which is about US$399 and the SE-XB1 for about US$475, (www.pioneerelectronics.com) both models are Infra red so you can't really walk around the house with them on, as you have to be in an uninterrupted straight line with the transmitter, however IR have more fidelity that Radio Frequency headphones. If you have the money it looks like it could be a great investment, according to some reviews I found they say that the sound image is not even circular, as in a normal home cinema situation, but amazingly "spherical", so all around you and also on top and below, wow!.
    However I believe it's just too much money for a pair of headphones, so I decided to go for a nice pair of Sennheiser RS-130, a lot less money, they use RF which gives you great freedom up to 100m and have some type of surround mode called SRS, it's not the best thing out there, but it will help with the 3D imaging of movies and games, but for the money I think they're worth it. You can read a review on http://www.avreview.co.uk/news/article/mps/UAN/311/v/5/sp/332947698875334560230

I guess we'll just have to wait for prices to come down and more companies producing this type of hedphones, well, good luck!
    Andres

3. mulder

mulder
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Yeah I see what you mean I've been struggling to find 5.1 headphones. I have found 5.1 headphones for sale on e-bay manufactured by Qware they're going for about £35, does anyone know how good they are?