5.1 Headphones

Discussion in 'Headphones, Earphones & Portable Music' started by Bourner, Sep 16, 2004.

1. Bourner

Bourner

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +39
    Hi All,

I'm looking for some 5.1 headphones to use via my TV to do the x-box sound justice. (And not wake the Mrs up!!!) What are peoples views on Speed Link Medusa 5.1 Surround Headset SL-8790? I'd ideally like some a wireless pair but they seem to be v.expensive. Does anyone have any other recomendations for upto around £100.

TIA

2. ReHaBWales

ReHaBWales
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I have the Speed Link Medusa....They are really very good. Excellent bass and positioning is quite good too. The only critisism is that you need a large head....but if like me you don't posses a huge noggin then all is not lost. They're still good if a little loose.
    Even better they only cost £39.99 from Play.com

3. Bourner

Bourner

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +39
    Thanks ReHaBWales, may well invest in a pair.

4. Spooksta

Spooksta

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +723
    I got a pair of these from Play last week and theytare very good for the money. :thumbsup:

5. 61ShAP^Nev'Duke

61ShAP^Nev'Duke
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi chaps! - I too am currently in the market for 5.1 surround sound headphones, and intend to use them for online gaming.

Here is what I have found so far: Prices vary wildly, you only have to look on ebay to discover this. I thought ebay would be the cheapest place to buy but far from it! (I think too many people use ebay now and it's no longer cheap - a bit like car boot-sales have become)

The Zalman headphones have better performance on paper, but it seems that in subjective tests, they don't do as well as the Medusas. Hunt around the internet and you will find a few comparisons. There are a few reviews done on various forums, but the results are mixed. I'm more inclined to go on what subjective tests report.

On ebay there is a seller called X-Stock - he sells an unknown headphone quite cheaply. It's 5.1 surround, looks OK and I had quite a good email back from him when I enquired about them. (See below)

The Medusas can be bought as 1) A single item with amp
    2) A twin pack
    3) A single item without amp (to make twin)

Tonight I have spent several hours looking for decent prices on the Medusas as I think I am going to choose these over the Zalmans.
    However, if you do not need a microphone, take a look at the very funky looking Gainward 5.1 Headphones - they are a lot cheaper and have received some very good reviews.

The cheapest I can find the Medusas for is: £32.90 from http://www.core-digital.co.uk/product_info.php?products_id=223
    I think postage is £5 also the cheapest I can find! Everyone else wants nearly £10 to send these. You can collect them, but I'm waiting for an email from Core-digital to find out where in the UK they are.

Hope this is of some help!

Warmest regards,
    Nev Duke. www.61shap.org

Email rcv'd from X-Stock:

Hi,

The brand is “Professor” made in and imported from Taiwan – we are the UK reseller for the products.

We have been selling them for 6 months – have sold about 100 units and have had no complaints by any customers.

I use them myself - the sound is great and I am sure you will be delighted with the product.

We have priced then VERY aggressively – if you could find anything similar, they would cost over £60.00 in the high street.

Regards,

Peter Derrick

X-Stock

+44 (0)208 948 4394

6. fish99

fish99

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +14
    If you're buying headphones to connect to an xbox, you might want to consider those Pioneer Dolby wireless ones since they get great reviews (see post on this forum).

I have the Zalmans 5.1s. The 3D sound effect isn't too bad - better than I expected. When you first plug them in and do the speaker test on your PC your first reaction is that there hardly any difference between the rear and fronts, but in actual games the 3D sound works pretty well, apart from a blind spot between the centre and front right.

BUT the actual sound quality of the heaphones is so low they are virtually unusable in my opinion. I would rather not have 3D sound than have sound this bad. They were basically a waste of money. The sound tone is terrible, the sound is distorted, muffled and dead. I would be dissapointed if £5 headphones sounded this bad.

How anyone could review them and say, as I've read in genuine reviews, that they are the best quality headphones they've ever used, is beyond me. I feel like demanding my £35 quid back from the reviewer who wrote that. I'm now going to invest in some quality stereo headphones instead.

Avoid the Zalmans.

7. 61ShAP^Nev'Duke

61ShAP^Nev'Duke
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Yes, thanks for that Fish. That is very disapointing. I'm sorry to hear you have had such a bad experience with them - they aren't cheap! It kind of sums up many of the reports I've heard, and makes me think the medusas are possibly the way forward.

8. donmc

donmc

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Excuse my ignorance but how do they connect? I am using a PC with digital coax out into a 5.1 amp. The amp has a standard stereo headphone socket. Where do you plug the 5.1 headphones in?

TIA

Don

9. bigkahuna

bigkahuna

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hello guys,

I hope this isn't an ignorant question as well, I have a Pioneer DD-EX /DTS reciever and would like to be able to listen thru headphones. Do the Zalmans or Medusas produce a real 5.1 atmosphere? Thanx

10. 61ShAP^Nev'Duke

61ShAP^Nev'Duke
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi Big K. Check your personal messages bud.

According to the reviews I've read, the Medusas and the Zalmans give true 5.1 sound, as do the Gainwards, so I think the 'atmosphere' we want is indeed achieved.

Like I said earlier, if you don't need the microphone then choose the Gainwards. I've not read any bad reviews on them and they look superb.

If you need the microphone then there isn't much other choice than the Medusas or the Zalmans. (unless you can locate a set of Professors there are some on ebay at the moment http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=11682&item=5137692819&rd=1 But I've not found any reviews on them ) Personally I have read too many poor reviews on the Zalmans - disapointing as I like their PC cooling products!