5.1 Gaming Headphones

Br0ken

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Alright,

Not usually around here being a console gamer but the ps3 section hasn't any useful info for me. So hoping you can help.

I'm thinking of getting some 5.1 headphones for late night gaming, but haven't been able to get to any place to demo them.

I know PC gamers have been able to use them for a while now so I wondered if any one can offer any opinions on whether they're worth it and if the surround sound actually works well?

Hi, the one's I have tried have been a bit gimmicy and not very well built. I'd recomend a decent stereo pair over surround sound one's any day.

Thanks for the reply. I'm looking forward to killzone 2 and don't want to play it with the volume down you know so I was thinking 5.1 to hear all the explosions, bullets and voices around me would be really immersive, would you still recommend regular stereo headphones?

I have one of these and I must say I was impressed with it. I thought I would be sending it back but 3 years on its still here and being used. The effect is very good and you can hear things behind, above, below etc

The build quality is very good and mine came with a life time guarantee in a nicely packaged box. The headphones are comfortable and very robust.

You can get a usb and a conventional version as well as a wireless version. I have the conventional version as this was all that was out at the time. You can also use the mic for in game chat if you so wish.

I would rate the Medusa as a 9/10

Medusa-UK : SPEED-LINK MEDUSA 5.1 ProGamer Edition V2 [SL-8793]

Medusa-UK : Surround

Thank Razor.

I'll be looking for headphones that take a digital input (to use with the PS3), but good to hear (no pun intended) that you've found a pair that does the sound effect well.

I was thinking of the Sharkoon Version 3 digital 5.1 headset.

No worries mate. :smashin:

When I was buying my headset I was sceptical that it was going to work. I thought I would give it a punt under the 7 days long distance rules and if it didn't work out there was nothing to lose apart from the postage. :)

I would say go for it and see what you think of them. :smashin:

Well they're £110 odd, if they were maybe £50/£60 I'd take a punt.

I'll have to check the returns policy for the website. I think the sharktoons will be in the plastic vacum wrapped box so i'll have to cut it out, not sure if they'd take them back like that.

Well they're £110 odd, if they were maybe £50/£60 I'd take a punt.

I'll have to check the returns policy for the website. I think the sharktoons will be in the plastic vacum wrapped box so i'll have to cut it out, not sure if they'd take them back like that.

Thats fair enough. I hate products that are sealed like that. :thumbsdow

Do you not have an amp/receiver connected to your ps3? If so then you could output from the amp to the medusa headphones for 5.1. The amp will convert the digital signal to an analogue one. :)

No don't have anything like that, living at home and game in my bedroom, gotta be considerate to the rest of the family, don't think they'd be too found of loud rumbles at 1/2am :)

I use a Teufel decoderstation 3 "Dolby Digital/ProLogic/dts decoder" which takes the optical output from PS3 and then analogue outputs to Medusa Home 5.1 headphones. As the Medusa has two inputs I use the 2nd input to take 5.1 analogue from PC soundcard so at the switch of a button I can have either 5.1 PS3 sound or 5.1 PC sound. The combination of the Teufel and Medusa is very good. Teufel is best ordered from Amazon.

I also have a pair of Fatality1 headphones also wired into the Medusa amplifier so can switch to those if required. Options Options!

Nipper

i have the zalman 6 speaker surround (basically 6.1 without the .1) and they work really well with a 5.1 input and ive enjoyed using them but ive stopped gaming with them now. and have changed the way i output to speakers to digital. is there a way of connecting them (they use 3 3.5mm connections to the graphics card) but im now using on my xfi the coaxial output. can i connect them to a digital connection box (either on my av amp via optical or coax in) or ignore the fact they are 5.1 and got a lot of use and just have speakers set low?

Thank Razor.

I'll be looking for headphones that take a digital input (to use with the PS3), but good to hear (no pun intended) that you've found a pair that does the sound effect well.

I was thinking of the Sharkoon Version 3 digital 5.1 headset.

My mate has a pair of them, he uses them to play PS3 online. They are awesome to say the least.

I'm considering a purchase myself.

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom