• New Patreon Tier and Early Access Content available. If you would like to support AVForums, we now have a new Patreon Tier which gives you access to selected news, reviews and articles before they are available to the public. Read more.

5.1 from laptop to Amp

CG_Gordon

Hi, I was wondering if its possible to output 5.1 from my laptop to my amp. At the moment I can only see a headphone style output. My laptop is an MSI 1029 (evesham quest Roma). Im fairly sure this is poosible but the laptop came with little-no documentation on the hardware.

Thanks

Gordon

tfboy

I'm pretty sure there isn't a multichannel-sound-carded laptop on the market.

If you want mutichannel sound, you can get something lie a creative labs usb2 soundcard which has optical in / out and you can then feed that to an amp which will decode the DD / dts. Or maybe get a multi-channel USB2 / PCMCIA / firewire card and have just the one-box solution.

clockworks

What's the sound quality like with that USB/toslink box?
Is the driver software reliable?

tfboy

I've never had any big issues with it, although to be honest, I've never tried sending a multichannel feed through the optical, only standard 48k PCM. No reason why it shouldn't work though :)

neosalad

Standard Member
if your after one of the Creative EXTERNAL soundblaster live 24-bit cards, check your local John Lewis, they had them half price.. for £19.95 (RRP is £39.99) (i got one just a couple of weeks ago, but using on my desktop, not a laptop)

and if you have a laptop, they would really be the only solution i think.. just a shame they dont decode a DD5.1 signal or DTS, u need to either use software to do that on the pc uses nore cpu power, but not to much to cause any problems... or output via optical to an AMP) which if u were using as a pc home cinema setup would be pretty good...

neosalad

welshy

I believe you can use the SPDIF connector on your laptop if you have one and connect this into one of the digital in's on your amp with a suitable cable. Could never get mine to work though although the manual said it could be done.

tfboy

welshy said:
I believe you can use the SPDIF connector on your laptop if you have one and connect this into one of the digital in's on your amp with a suitable cable. Could never get mine to work though although the manual said it could be done.
Yes, and you also have to configure the software to use the S/PDIF

Assuming you're using your laptop as a DVD player, you'll have to configure your dvd playing software to pass through to S/PDIF. You may have to set the configuration in the sound card properties too. If you don't set it up properly, you'll get the DVD software downmixing the original 5.1 track to a two-channel and this will get passed through the optical connection as a PCM stereo and not the raw multichannel data :)

plonky

welshy said:

I have coax digital out on my docking station. I have connected it to my Yamaha RX1500 and used PLII to get 5.1 however a couple of the divx files have claimed to have "proper" 5.1 encoded but I have not yet spent too much time trying to get it going.

grg_plp

Standard Member
Does it mean that if you might have an external USB Hard disk having DTS files, it can be read by the Audigy ZS Notebook card or its associated software utilities.

Any one have an idea if a qed coaxial connecting the audigy card to a denon 1905 might get a better sound quality output than playing dts files out of a cheap Philips dvd player.

George

The latest video from AVForums

Guardians of the Galaxy Xmas Special, Strange World, Bones and All, and Cabinet of Dr Caligari in 4K
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom