5.1 For PS3

TerryUK

Prominent Member
Reaction score
Hello, I currently have my PS3 connected via Red and White cables running into a converter that i can plug into my line in on my PC. The problem is that the PS3 cannot output 5.1 via the red and white cables, only Optical and HDMI, as I am using a HDMI to DVI converter the only option is to use optical.

So, I need someone to recommend me a good soundcard that has optical in and that will output to my surround sound system ( Logitech X-540 ).

Will this setup work? Also I am using Windows Vista and herd only the Creative X-Fi cards work with 5.1 surround.

Finally, not 100% needed, but is their a way to have it so i can have my PC switched off or on standbye and allow the sound to come through?

Thanks for your help, and any suggestions are welcome.

Terry H

This is a viable solution; in fact I use a similar method. I use the HDMI to go to my TV then the optical out of the PS3 goes into the optical in on my X-Fi Elite pro which is then outputted via the analogue outs to my power amp. I don’t see any reason why it would not work for 5.1 I also don’t notice any latency problems,

Matt

You can set the optical output of the ps3 to Liner PCM rather than bitstream. So any DD or DTS signal will just be converted to PCM in the ps3 so the soundcard has no conversion to do.

thats fine if he doesnt mind sticking to 2 channel pcm, becuase thats all spdif is capable of.

thats fine if he doesnt mind sticking to 2 channel pcm, becuase thats all spdif is capable of.
spdif can carry compressed multi-channel audio signals, and some games support this.
using a PC's soundcard to decode stereo PCM sound is completely senseless since the ps3 has analog stereo ports and the ports from a regular PC soundcard don't have more output power than the ps3.

compressed multi channel audio over spdif would be DD or DTS. you cant transfer multi channel audio in any over way over spdif, including lpcm. its not possible which is the point i was making - your limited to 2 channel pcm or DD/DTS

Im totally lost, what will i need to listen to my PS3 in Dolby Digital using my 5.1 Logitech X-540 speakers?

:lease:

sorry to bump this thread as im in the exact situation as the guy who wants his PS3 to use the X540's surround sound speakers.

It sounds like i need a "a cheap dolby receiver " as dogbert just said... but as im a complete AVnoob could someone direct me towards one of these devices??

Hey

Could you post some pics of what i should be loooking for when hooking up the speakers to the PS3??

cheers

im in the same boat here too. I've just bought a PS3 and before hand, i had 7.1. creative 7900 speakers connected to my onboard realtek HD soundchip. and HDMi from my graphics card to my TV. Im looking at buying a sound card anyway and was wondering if i could also use optical out from the ps3, connect that to my sound card and then outsource the sound to my speakers through my computer? Is this possible and would i still have surround sound or just simple 2 channel audio? Would i be better getting the logitec z750's? sorry to hi-jack this thread from the originial poster, just my question seems relevant and i didn't see the need to create another thread.

Hi, sorry just wanted to bump this up. Pay day this week and i wanna get this solution sorted this weekend if i can.

Last edited:
I have a Yamaha amp that powers my surround sound, I have just purchased a PS3 and connected it to the amp with an optical cable I can't seem to get it to do 5.1 just the 2ch pcm? any help out there?

hi Danewguy,

You need to set the output on the PS3 to optical and set the output to bitstream (all in the audio menu on the PS3). You should also ensure that the optical input on the av amp is set up to decode Dolby Digital or dts.

Brian

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom