1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

5.1 Disc in EX mode

Discussion in 'AV Receivers & Amplifiers' started by oliver24, Aug 30, 2004.

1. oliver24

oliver24

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Guys,
    I know this is silly but If I select Dolby Digital EX on the amp
    I get sound on the the back surrounds.

I cant seem to understand the Yamaha RX-650 manual on this
    Would this make it 2 left surrounds and 2 right surrounds or some
    sort of mix of the two in a Pro logic 2 style.

Oliver.

2. Arcangel

Arcangel

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Depends on the amp. Some give the option of EX Processing (extracts info from the side surrounds and creates the back surround channels) as well as the option of simultaneously outputting what comes out of the side surrounds i.e Surround Left info comes out of the Surround Back Left, Surround Right comes out of Surround Back Right.

3. Nobe

Nobe
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    I'm pretty sure the amp will select the source automatically,as decode as required.If the DVD carries the infomation,and the DVD player is capable ,the amp should select which ever decoding is relevant(EX/ES/PLII..etc...)
    One or two speakers can be used for the rear channel,these can accept a dedicated signal.If not then the amp will send some information from the Left/Right surrounds,to give a "matrixed"rear channel signal.

4. Arcangel

Arcangel

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    The DVD player will just pass whatever digital format is encoded on the disc regardless of whether the signal is 5.1, 2.0, 5.1 EX, 6.1 ES etc etc. The important bit is whether the amp can decode the format or not.

Most amps have a mode (AFDM - Auto Flag Detect Mode) that will switch on the surround back speakers for EX/ES processing when they detect an encoded flag on the disc that indicates EX/ES encoding. Unfortunately, the majority of discs don't actually have the flag encoded on them. Best to leave the AFDM off and just manually switch on or off EX/ES processing.

DTS ES Discrete is the only true 6.1 format although not many discs are encoded in this format. DTS ES Matrix and Dolby EX both use matrix processing to extract the info from the side surrounds to create the surround back channel/s. All of these formats can use either one or two surround back speakers but if two are used they both produce the same signal.

5. pez

pez

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +27
    does 6.1 discrete mean that the 2 back surrounds in a 7.1 setup will both have the same sound pushed through them?

pez

6. Arcangel

Arcangel

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Yes. If the format is DTS ES Discrete. Mind you, same goes for Dolby EX, DTS ES Matrix in a 7.1 setup.

It is possible to get Stereo Surround Back channels using modes such as Logic7 (on Lexicon Processors), THX Ultra2 Cinema & Music as well as Dolby PLIIx. :)

7. oliver24

oliver24

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0

I think that sounds about right to me, the amp will auto detect ES,EX if there
    is a flag but a few disc's I have have dont have a flag but the disc has the ES/EX logo so I have to manualy turn on EX/ES and sound comes from the back rears

But if I then put a 5.1 only disc in I can live ES/EX manualy turned on and agian sound from the back rears, I just wondered if people like to have it this way or do you just have 5.1 as 5.1 and leave the back rears dead??

8. Arcangel

Arcangel

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Personally I leave the Surround Backs on all the time, even for standard 5.1 tracks. :)