5.1 Digital with Digital In/Out???

Discussion in 'Blu-ray & DVD Players & Recorders' started by vipergrm, Oct 15, 2005.

1. vipergrm

vipergrm

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +565
    Hi guys, :hiya:

My DVD player (PhilipsLX8300SA) has a "Digital In" port on the back but no optical. Can I use this to connect to the XBOX 360 (when released of course) to get true 5.1 surround? This is a budget home cinema set but the sound is really good and the pic quality isn't too bad either.

The only connections on the back are component, Aux-In (2 channel), line out and the Digital In port. I hope this makes some sense. Is there another way I can do this or would I have to upgrade my system?

I also want to be able to use the DVD player on the XBOX 360 as it upscales DVDs' to High Def and it would be really important to get 5.1 working properly.

The problem is, if it doesn't work then I need to replaced the whole Home Cinema kit but I would have already have spent the allowance on the XBOX itself!

Any help would be very much appreciated! :thumbsup: :smashin:

2. Knyght_byte

Knyght_byte

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +599
    a digital in port on the DVD player? fairy nuff....im guessing if its a coaxial digital input (looks like a phono input right but coloured orange possibly?) and your DVD player has on board Dolby Digital decoding, with 6 analogue outputs labelled Front Left, Front Right, Centre, Rear Left, Rear Right and Subwoofer/LFE then if your amp has 6 inputs labelled similar then you will be able to have 5.1 from the X-Box 360, assuming it uses Coaxial digital output, if the 360 uses Optical digital output then you screwed......(unless you've got it wrong and the input on the back is an Optical digital input, then you might be ok....should have a plug in it that you can remove, helps keep the dust out etc)

or is your DVD player an all in one DVD player and amp box? (ie you plug the speakers in to it)...and is it a proper Hifi unit or a Home-Cinema-in-a-box Dixons type shop bought unit?.......

3. vipergrm

vipergrm

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +565
    Thanks, it is a Philips LX8300SA Home Cinema kit. It is really a budget player. There definately is no Optical connection on the back because I also checked the manual. The only connections on the back are Component, S-Video, AUX L and R and the Digital IN port. THIS link shows the connections on the back of this player. Means I am gonna have to upgrade I think :(

4. mjbtin

mjbtin

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +387
    Dont know if this is any help but I bought a converter box off ebay for the original xbox,it had component out,optical out,digital coax out,scart and composite out.Could only find this box on ebay if you want to do a search for it the make is Madcow

5. vipergrm

vipergrm

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +565
    Yeah that is geat help actually! So, this means I would be able to connect the DVD player to the XBOX360 and get the proper surround???

Sounds fantastic!

6. mjbtin

mjbtin

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +387
    Just done search on ebay for madcow but got nothing,then tried xbox optical out and got a result

7. vipergrm

vipergrm

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +565
    Thanks pdbmjb for your help. Unfortunately the DVD player lacks the Optical connection I need, otherwise that would have been perfect :(

Thanks anyway. I'll maybe look at upgrading soon.

:hiya: