Question 5.1 corner setup

Discussion in 'Home Cinema Speakers' started by One more thing, Jul 13, 2015.

1. One more thing

One more thing

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +97
    Anyone got any advice for a square ish lounge TV in corner for 5.1 speaker placement? Must be other people with this lounge layout that can't move the TV?

Thanks

2. PSM1

PSM1
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5,443
    Corner placement is always problematic but if it has to be that way then put the front speaker either side of the TV (close to it). Then the rears should be centred around the main seating location (one either side).

3. DodgeTheViper

DodgeTheViper

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +10,040
    It would really help if you can get some pics of the room posted up. People can then see the layout otherwise it's just a stab in the dark.

4. One more thing

One more thing

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +97
    Sorry yes here is my room layout. Its a typical 1930's semi room roughly 4.5 x 4m with square bay window.

Screen Shot 2015-07-14 at 10.05.59.png

5. One more thing

One more thing

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +97
    Would this work, so the 3 MA apex 40's up high just above picture rail angled down toward MLP. Also the surrounds up high and angled as shown, they are CA minx 22's? Screen Shot 2015-07-14 at 10.19.33.png

6. PSM1

PSM1
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5,443
    That is not a good layout but is often what people do with a corner TV placement and try to stretch the speakers out. This puts rear speakers in front of you at some of the seating locations and fronts behind you and is not going to sound good. Could the TV go above the fireplace? I actually removed my fireplace since it was in the way of where the TV needed to go (lucky I have an understanding wife!!!)
    If the TV has to be in the corner then put the front 3 speakers close to the TV. SO L/R either side and centre either under or above the TV. If I assume the sofa on the right vertical wall is the main one for watching TV then the rear speakers go either side of it on the right wall. Given the limited space to the rear you may want to consider getting dipole/bipole speakers instead of direct firing one. But you current suggestion will give a very poor effect. You need to concentrate on one 'good' viewing location instead of a hugely compromised effect on all.

7. One more thing

One more thing

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +97
    Thanks for that, very helpful. I have thought about the fireplace removal, im not lucky enough to have an undersatnding wife though! Dont like TV too high up so wont be any good above fireplace. I might have to work at the fireplace removal!

8. PSM1

PSM1
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5,443
    Never used our fireplace anyway so pretty easy to remove it in terms of arguments for keeping. When we looked at the house to buy it that was the first thing I said would remove since in prime tv location.

9. Navvie

Navvie

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +335
    Corner TV placement is always a PITA. Move the TV and MLP. Without mounting on or removing the fireplace, what if the sofa in the bay became the MLP and the TV went on the shorter wall opposite. That would make speaker placement easier although it would move you farther from the TV so you might decide a bigger screen is needed.

10. PSM1

PSM1
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5,443
    The problem with that is you would not want the MLP sofa in the alcove like it is at the moment since this would make surround placement difficult. Moving the sofa out of the alcove may make the small room even smaller though. Maybe the TV in the alcove with the sofa against the short wall.

11. One more thing

One more thing

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +97
    Thanks guys, still working on getting the fireplace removed!!

If I cant and I put the centre speaker in the corner above the TV (on a sort of DIY traingluar shelf to screw in to) will that have a negative effect on the sound coming from the centre? The speakers are front ported so thinking it might be ok?

12. PSM1

PSM1
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5,443
    With a corner placement then may be better without a centre at all since the front L/R going to be close to the TV anyway so not much separation.

13. One more thing

One more thing

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +97
    Thing is I cant get the L/R A40's close to the TV so there would have to be a wide soundstage, hence the need for a centre still! :(

14. PSM1

PSM1
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5,443
    Your current suggestion for speaker placement for the fronts really is not a good one. Surely the speakers could be put each side of the screen (almost touching it if needed)?
    A speaker is never going to sound its best on a shelf either so that is not ideal either.
    You are buying some nice kit but going to have a very compromised sound due to speaker placement.
    If the apex are too big to fit near the screen then I would look for smaller speakers that will fit. Far better to compromise the size of the speaker than to hugely compromise the position IMHO.

15. One more thing

One more thing

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +97
    Sorry I should of explained better, I already have the kit. The speakers are currently optimised for projecting on the spare wall (all front 3 Apex on picture rail angled down towards bay window seats current MLP) but we are getting a doorway put in on that wall through to the dining room so will just be a TV and want the sound to be as good as it is at the moment, but sound like its coming from the TV. Its doing my head in TBH!!

16. PSM1

PSM1
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5,443
    The only way to get the sound like it is coming from the TV is to have the speakers close to the TV. Your proposed locations is just going to be a mess.
    If you can not get your current speakers close to the TV then consider selling them and getting speakers that will fit since using your current speakers would be a non starter. The Apex are not that big so should be able to either wall mount or put ion stands either side of the TV I would suspect. Maybe a photo would help explain your issue.
    So you may need to consider new speakers.