5.1 compatible Headset

barghest

Established Member
Reaction score
I'm looking for a 5.1 compatible headset similar to a 'Speed Link Medusa 5.1 Surround Headset' but, perhaps, more for general use then pure gaming. Any recommendations?

Is the Creative HQ2300D headset any good?

That is very interesting. Can the gadgetshow be trusted though?

thats a good question!

I think they give a sort of "sun readers guide to technology". Its good in some ways but if you really are a techno-gadget-freak type then its just not going to be enough detail for you I think, therefore you will question the outcome of the reviews...

just the same as anything else you need to read reviews from different sources and weigh them all up together I think...and then actually try stuff our for yourself before making a decision.

thats a good question!

I think they give a sort of "sun readers guide to technology". Its good in some ways but if you really are a techno-gadget-freak type then its just not going to be enough detail for you I think, therefore you will question the outcome of the reviews...

just the same as anything else you need to read reviews from different sources and weigh them all up together I think...and then actually try stuff our for yourself before making a decision.

I decided to go for the Creative headset.

Hi, Don't know if anyone can help with this. I purchased these earphones too (creative 2300d) based on the gadget show. I got them today, however the digital in is listed as optical/digital in as a combi port. Optical toslinks don't fit whatsoever.

What cable do I need to connect the optical output from my 360 and sky HD box to these, as it is listed as optical so it must work?

EDIT:

Think I found what I need. Will this do the trick?
LINK

-- As an eBay Associate, AVForums earns from qualifying purchases --
Hi, Don't know if anyone can help with this. I purchased these earphones too (creative 2300d) based on the gadget show. I got them today, however the digital in is listed as optical/digital in as a combi port. Optical toslinks don't fit whatsoever.

What cable do I need to connect the optical output from my 360 and sky HD box to these, as it is listed as optical so it must work?

EDIT:

Think I found what I need. Will this do the trick?
LINK

yeah I think that will do the trick...best check headphone manual though
you can get this on a cable also
http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/...t_details/202-1954531-7850266?ie=UTF8&seller=

are the creative's "active" or will the output from the 360 need to pass through an amp first? not really thought about this as my 360 goes to my a/v reciever only and I don't use it with headphones

-- As an eBay Associate, AVForums earns from qualifying purchases --
— As an Amazon Associate, AVForums earns from qualifying purchases —
Cheers , I should get the adapter tommorow so will find out if it works or not. you get a (supposedly the worlds first according to the packaging) mini amp with these headphones powered by 2 aa batteries that decodes dts, dolby digital and pro logic 2. Then it mixes it into dolby heaphone output on the headphone sockets of th mini amp to simulate the 5.1 suround. Im more interested in it to get the digital quality rather than surround effect without having to use a massive amp when i'm only using earphones due to neighbours.

The actual headphones themselves are nothing special, the mini amp is what does all the work so any pair of earphones plugged into it will work.

Ignore almost everything "The Gadget Show" has "told" anyone.

As much as I digg Suzy Perry, And as much as I digg Jason Bradbury.. All they are is Channel 5 Promo ****. Yes I know JB has a blog on AVF. And I've agreed with a great deal of what He has said...But most is nothing more than propaganda....

When it comes to Audio... It is absolutly Personal..

If You like the way it sounds. Then why the hell would You want anything more?

If so explain.....

yeah I think that will do the trick...best check headphone manual though
you can get this on a cable also
http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/...t_details/202-1954531-7850266?ie=UTF8&seller=

are the creative's "active" or will the output from the 360 need to pass through an amp first? not really thought about this as my 360 goes to my a/v reciever only and I don't use it with headphones

The jack can take either a min-toslink connector for optical or a 3.5mm plug for coax. Many mini-disks do this, as does my soundcard.

The Creative unit is a headphone amp/dac in its own right and will run headphones fine, though the supplied ones are rubbish.

I bought the unit as a tester to make sure my PC was putting out bit-perfect signal, which it is now once I'd set the volume to 100%. But I have played with the decoder connected to the optical out of a dvd player and it seems pretty good with used with decent headphones.

Steve

— As an Amazon Associate, AVForums earns from qualifying purchases —

If so explain.....

People used to think mono was good until stereo came along, and then dolby 5.1, 6.1 & 7.1. So how would one know that the sound which seems OK is actually pretty poor and could be made so much better.

Ignore almost everything "The Gadget Show" has "told" anyone.

As much as I digg Suzy Perry, And as much as I digg Jason Bradbury.. All they are is Channel 5 Promo ****. Yes I know JB has a blog on AVF. And I've agreed with a great deal of what He has said...But most is nothing more than propaganda....

If so explain.....

Thats liek saying why upgrade from black and white tv to colour if you are happy with it, and so on.

I got it all up and working now, the dolby headphone processing really does make it sound liek you are in the middle of a speaker setup rather than that in your head sound you usually get. The mini amp seems like a really good bit of kit, shame you can't buy it on it's own.

Can anyone reccomend a decent pair of Sennheiser's to go with this DD amp? I was looking at the HD555's or 595's. Will these be any good with this dolby heaphone amp?

Just reading the Gadget show review on these headphones and the downfall with the Medusa's seems to be where the sound is coming from.

I don't know what flavour of Medusa's they were using but I have the pair that comes with the headphone amp. This uses 3.5mm jacks for the inputs. As far as I know there is no standard for wiring these up :( , that is why 5.1 soundcards have jumpers to reverse the connections. I bought leads with 3.5mm jacks at one end and phono plugs at the other and to get the sounds in the right place I have to reverse all of them at the phono end I.E. right front into left front etc.

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom